James C. Polkinghorn
Jim Polkinghorn is a partner in the Fort Lauderdale office and heads the litigation practice there. He is an experienced trial attorney, having tried more than thirty cases to juries in state and federal courts throughout the state of Florida and elsewhere in the United States.
Jim has extensive experience litigating cases of all levels of complexity, from single-plaintiff discrimination claims to multi-party class and collective actions arising under state and federal labor and employment laws. His significant trial experience allows him to focus early on issues that impact winning or losing.
He is also a certified mediator, which gives him a practical perspective on litigation strategy. Jim is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2009.
He was also included in the 2012 edition of South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers, presented by Legal Leaders and the 2015 and 2016 edition of Super Lawyers Florida. Furthermore, Jim was nominated by Corporate Counsel to the BTI Client Services All-Stars 2015.
- Thousand Member Class Action Dismissed on Appeal of Certification Order
- State Trial Judge Grants Directed Verdict for Defendant at Close of Plaintiff’s Evidence in Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Trial
- Arbitrator Rules in Favor of International Media Company in Contract Dispute with Company Founder
- Dingman v. Delta Health Group, 26 F. Supp. 2d 1349 (S.D. Fla. 1998)
- Wilde v. Florida Pneumatic Mtg. Co., 941 F. Supp. 1203 (S.D. Fla. 1996)
Honors & Leadership
Jim is active in the Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections of the ABA. He also actively participates in professional mediator organizations.
Jim is a Life Member of the University of Florida Alumni Association and actively participates in the organization's activities. He is also an active member of Gator Boosters of Key West and the Sigma Chi Fraternity Alumni Association.
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- University of Florida College of LawJ.D. 1983, with honors
- University of FloridaB.A. 1980, with honors; Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Florida Supreme Court