Stephen Scott, a native Oregonian and partner in the firm's Portland office, is a go-to lawyer for employers’ most contentious disputes, representing businesses in all stages of employment-related administrative claims and lawsuits. He also advises and trains employers on issues involving workplace discrimination, family leave, wage and hour laws, and noncompetition, nonsolicitation, and nondisclosure agreements. Stephen stands out for his outside-the-box thinking, single-minded dedication to clients, and around-the-clock availability.
His track record of success includes achieving exceptional results for auto dealerships, retail, and supply chain clients facing high-stakes employment litigation, EEOC investigations, and claims involving breach of contract, trade secrets, and nonsolicitation. Recent victories have included:
- Winning full summary judgment and dismissal of an approximately $1 million-plus alleged Sexual Harassment and Hostile Workplace quid pro quo case for a leading testing, inspection and certification company.
- Winning full summary judgment dismissal of disability, retaliation, negligence, and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims against a premier big box retail chain (the final offer at mediation was $10 million).
- Securing a complete walk-away of an internationally publicized racial discrimination case for a Fortune 500 transportation and supply chain provider, shortly after the Plaintiff’s deposition.
- Secured a complete walk-away of a discrimination, retaliation, whistleblowing, defamation, and intentional interference with economic relations claims for a local construction company weeks prior to trial.
- Successfully defending former employees of a food brokerage company who were accused of misappropriating trade secrets and poaching customers for a competitor at a preliminary injunction hearing.
Stephen frequently writes on topics including workplace safety, the impact of artificial intelligence in the workplace, and the trials and tribulations of being a t-ball coach. He also is frequently asked to give speeches at conferences across America.
A recovering triathlete, duathlete, and international rugby player, Stephen now spends his free time coaching his kids, chasing scratch, and traveling with his wife (though they are very much in the Disneyland season of life).