Lyle Chan is an associate in the firm’s Irvine office. His practice focuses on counseling and defending employers of all sizes in a variety of employment law matters including Private Attorney General Act (PAGA) actions and class actions, wage and hour, discrimination, harassment, and retaliation litigation in both single-plaintiff and class action cases. In addition to his litigation practice, Lyle regularly advises clients on how to navigate the often complex laws pertaining to employers, helping them make important decisions that affect their business and their personnel.
In addition to employment matters, Lyle also represents and advises companies in matters regarding compliance with Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and similar statutes, such as the California Uruh Act, including compliance with website accessibility standards.
- Lyle negotiated a favorable settlement for a regional trucking and logistics company located with routes on the West Coast and Southwest that was struggling financially in a wage and hour class action alleging overtime, meal and rest, and non-productive time violations for California drivers (a class of approximately 150 individuals), along with derivative Labor Code violations.
- Lyle negotiated a favorable pre-certification settlement for a Southern California furniture company with approximately 200 salespersons in a wage and hour class action alleging failure to pay non-productive time to commissioned sales employees, and derivative Labor Code violations.
- Lyle negotiated a favorable pre-certification settlement for a bottling company located in Southern California with approximately 60 non-exempt employees in a wage and hour class action/PAGA matter alleging failure to pay overtime, failure to pay minimum wage, meal and rest break violations, failure to timely pay wages, and derivative Labor Code violations. The client was facing multiple class and PAGA lawsuits that were consolidated/related, had considerable cash flow problems, and serious liability issues.
- Lyle assisted in the pre-certification settlement of a PAGA lawsuit brought against a temporary staffing agency with over 2,000 non-exempt employees where plaintiff alleged meal and rest period violations, failure to pay overtime, failure to pay all wages (rounding), and derivative Labor Code violations.
- Lyle defended, and assisted in the settlement of, a lawsuit that began as a class action/PAGA wage and hour, but ultimately was narrowed to a PAGA-only case regarding wage statement violations in a case with over $50 million in potential maximum exposure under the PAGA statute. At mediation, Lyle successfully helped negotiate a six-figure settlement. Lyle represented a staffing agency with thousands of employees in this litigation that involved multiple defendants and complex cross-complaint issues amongst the defendants.
- Lyle is currently handling and assisting with four active class action/PAGA cases involving clients in the trucking/logistics, agriculture, temporary staffing, and retail industries.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Named, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021)
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
- Loyola Law SchoolJ.D., 2014
- University of California, Los AngelesB.A., 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California