Daniel P. O'Brien
Dan O'Brien is a partner in the firm's Cleveland office. His practice focuses on Risk and Claims Management.
His five major areas of concentration are in Workers' Compensation, Unemployment Compensation, Alternative Risk Transfer Methods, Establishment of Best Practices Claims Management Programs and the impact of workers' and unemployment costs in a Merger or Acquisition.
He has over 38 years of experience representing employers before the Industrial Commission of Ohio, Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation and the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services.
He has worked with over 80 organizations in obtaining qualified self-insured workers' compensation programs in Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
Dan's experience includes being the lead consultant on a two year study of the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority. This study and subsequent program recommendations led to the establishment of a professional risk management function within the GCRTA.
Dan has conducted audits of national workers' compensation programs representing the insurance industry, self-insured employers, associations and venture capital groups. These audits have included overviews of claims management, reserving practices, settlement practices and litigation management.
Dan has established national "best practices" formats for employers and insurers.
In addition, he works with clients in the areas of safety compliance with a focus on Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and OSHA compliance issues.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2015 – 2021)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America - Workers' Compensation Law - Employers (2020)
- Featured Speaker on Risk Management and Workers' Compensation for: The Institute for International Research
- Northeast Ohio Society of Safety Professionals
- Self-Insurers Group of Ohio
- The Cuyahoga Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Cleveland Builder's Exchange
- Printers Association of Ohio
- The Solid Waste Association of North America (Buckeye Chapter)
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Seeing 20/20 in 2020: What to Expect from a Legal and Financial Standpoint for Workers’ Compensation in the Upcoming Year10.29.19
- “The Injured Worker: Practical Workers’ Compensation Approaches for Leaves of Absence”
- "Bringing your ‘A’ game: How to make your company best in class in contractor, vendor and supplier qualification and certification”
EH&S Magazine’s "America's Safest Companies" Seminar
- “The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on workers’ compensation"
Advanced Workers' Compensation Seminar
- "Pay it forward and other Bureau of Workers' Compensation changes in 2014 and beyond”
Ohio Chamber of Commerce HR Academy
- “If a Stripper is Not an Independent Contractor, Who Is?”
- Case Western Reserve University Law SchoolJ.D. 1984
- Albion CollegeB.A. 1981
- Supreme Court of Ohio