Jason A. Geller
Jason Geller is the managing partner of the firm's San Francisco office. Jason represents employers in all facets of employment law matters. He has considerable experience defending employers in litigation involving claims under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the California Family Rights Act (CFRA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) and California wage and hour laws. Jason has defended employers against class and individual wage and hour claims, including claims for alleged misclassification of exempt and independent contractor status, and failure to pay overtime and provide meal periods and rest breaks. He also frequently defends employers in whistleblowing and retaliation claims, including claims under the California Whistleblower Act, the False Claims Act and various provisions of the California Labor Code.
Jason has extensive experience defending employers in federal and state courts, as well as in investigations by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the DFEH, United States Department of Labor (DOL) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
In addition to defending his clients in litigation, Jason frequently counsels employers to assist them in avoiding litigation. He regularly advises clients on leave management issues and the interactive process for employees with disabilities, reinstatement obligations under various leave laws and wage and hour compliance. Jason has prepared employee handbooks and a variety of agreements, including independent contractor, employment, confidentiality, and trade secrets agreements.
Jason is a member of the firm's EPLI committee.
His clients are involved in a variety of industries, including insurance, assisted living, independent living facilities, construction, manufacturing, engineering, architecture, education, hospitality, professional services, agriculture, technology, retail and restaurant industries.
Jason was included in Northern California Super Lawyers in 2015 -2018.
Honors & Leadership
- Board Member, San Francisco Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Hotel Council of San Francisco
- Member, San Francisco Apartment Association
- Board Member, Northern California Human Resources Association - East Bay Chapter
- Member, Labor and Employment Section of The San Francisco Bar Association
- Board Member & Legislative Co-chair, Employers' Advisory Council of the California Employment Development Department
- Member, Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of California
- Member, Advisory Committee on Employment Law Jury Instructions of the Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of California
- San Francisco Regional Managing Partner Interviews with Local and National Media on Retroactive Application of Dynamex Test5.2.19
- San Francisco Regional Managing Partner Breaks Down California Bill that Forbids Mandatory Arbitration8.23.18
- Partners Jason Geller and Tim Murphy Named Northern California Super Lawyers; Attorneys Brent Garrett and Kasia Nowak Named Rising Stars7.7.15
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Fisher Phillips 2017 California SeminarsSeptember 7 - 28, 2017
- The New Federal "Overtime Rule," California Law and Dealerships: How Will the Changes Affect Your Compliance?Webinar10.24.16
- 2016 San Francisco Seminar9.28.16
- Got a Handle on Employee Leaves of Absence? Find out What's New With The California Family Rights Act3.21.16
- Fisher Phillips Breakfast Briefing In San Francisco -Dos and Don'ts of Employee Exemptions and Pay on Termination10.7.14
- Fisher Phillips Breakfast Briefing In San Francisco - Dos and Don'ts of Employee Exemptions and Pay on Termination9.17.14
- “Understanding the Complexities of Retaliation and Whistleblowing Claims,” National Employment Law Institute (NELI)
- “Handling Discrimination Suits by Unauthorized Workers,” Daily Journal
July 16, 2014
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog3.4.18
- California Supreme Court: "Illegal Immigrant Shouldn't Have Been Hired – But Can't Be Fired Illegally"7.3.14