Michael D. Carrouth
Mike Carrouth is a partner in the Columbia office. He is certified as a Specialist in Labor Law by the South Carolina Supreme Court.
Mike has represented clients in successfully responding to union organizing efforts in 30 states.
This work includes successfully defending against multi-site and multi-state national organizing blitzes and card-check/neutrality campaigns. Mike also has represented clients in numerous litigation matters, including jury trials, involving Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Title VII, breach of employment contract, and non-compete enforcement. He practices before state and federal courts, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), and state and federal administrative agencies in the areas of union-related matters, employment litigation, discrimination cases, non-compete agreements, and wrongful discharge cases.
Mike is a frequent speaker at seminars on labor and employment and litigation matters. He has written several articles, including "The Impact of the Civil Rights Act of 1991 on Employment Litigation" and "What the General Practitioner Should Know About Employer Liabilities in Conducting Job Interviews."
Mike is “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been selected for inclusion in South Carolina Super Lawyers since 2008. He has been listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2005 and in The Best Lawyers in America since 2007.
He was selected by his peers to be one of Greater Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elite in 2011 and 2013.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA (2015 - present)
- Greater Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elite (2011 & 2013)
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America (2007 - Present)
- Selected for South Carolina Super Lawyers (2008 - Present)
- Chairman, Labor Management Relations Committee, South Carolina Bar
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best in the U.S. for Labor & Employment Law4.25.19
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Latest Edition Written by Fisher Phillips Labor and Employment Attorneys8.11.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- S.C. Chamber Lunch & Learn9.13.17
- One Day, Many Solutions Columbia5.4.16
- Labor Board Continues Effort To Assist Organized Labor7.11.16
- University of South Carolina School of LawJ.D. 1988
- Wofford CollegeB.A. 1985
- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina