Usama Kahf is a partner in the firm's Irvine office. He represents employers of all sizes in matters of workplace privacy, data security, unfair competition, and trade secret theft and corporate espionage, both on the plaintiff and defense side. He defends employers in other areas of employment law as well, including wage and hour, harassment, and discrimination actions in state and federal court, in private arbitration, and before government agencies. He also regularly conducts training for clients on effective performance management strategies, prevention of harassment, and compliance with state and federal employment laws. He also represents clients in audits and investigations by state and federal agencies, including the California Employment Development Department (EDD) and Labor Commissioner audits of independent contractor classifications and retaliation investigations.
Usama’s clients include nonprofit organizations, animal hospitals, residential mortgage firms, transportation and logistics companies, a national massage spa franchise, an international bank, manufacturers (including in aerospace, plastics, and jewelry), electrical supply distributors, auto dealerships, HR consulting firms, a national wireless retailer, and a high-end event planning firm.
Usama is a member of the firm’s Electronic Discovery Committee, where he contributes regularly in advising his colleagues and their clients on defensible, effective, and efficient preservation, collection, review, and production of electronically stored information. He regularly presents seminars and trainings on data security and has co-authored a book on electronic discovery practice under the federal rules.
He has also been selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers - "Rising Stars" every year since 2013.
Before joining the firm, Usama practiced employment law at the Los Angeles office of a major international law firm, where his clients included private schools and colleges, public school districts, a major airline, a large staffing company, a specialty grocery store chain, and a large privately held cosmetics company.
While in law school, Usama served as an extern for the Honorable Judge John Shepard Wiley, Jr., Los Angeles Superior Court, and as a litigation extern for the Housing Rights Center.
He also served as a note and comment editor of the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review and as managing editor of the Los Angeles Public Interest Law Journal.
Prior to law school, Usama was a full-time lecturer at California State University, Long Beach, where he taught public speaking and other communication classes and was the Assistant Director of the speech and debate team.
On most weekends, you might spot Usama on a longboard surfing at a north Orange County beach.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
Listed in Georgia Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2013-2017)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California
- Member, Arab American Lawyers Association of Southern California
- Vice President, Board of Directors, The Nonprofit Partnership (Long Beach, CA)
- Labor and Employment attorneys represent 11 offices1.2.18
- Five Fisher Phillips Attorneys Listed in 2014 Southern California "Rising Stars" Honors Come as Los Angeles Office Expands6.10.14
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Irvine Breakfast Briefing1.31.18
- Fisher Phillips & ADP Breakfast Briefing2.15.17
- Preventing & Preparing for Class Actions in 3 Areas: Wage & Hour, Background Checks, and Data SecurityIrvine Breakfast Briefing11.10.16
- Irvine Breakfast Briefing9.8.16
- It’s Never Too Late To Comply7.26.16 - 8.16.16
- Preventing Appearance-Based Discrimination: Legal Guidelines for Protecting Religious and Cultural Groups Against Workplace HarassmentWebinar7.15.16
- Fisher Phillips Breakfast Briefing - Irvine7.7.16
- Fisher Phillips Breakfast Briefing – Irvine5.5.16
- Fisher Phillips and Titan Technologies Lunch Briefing11.19.15
- Barbarians at the Gate: What Every California Business Owner and Executive Should Know About Joint Employer Liability and Asset Protection10.1.15
- Breakfast Briefing2.6.15
- Breakfast Briefing12.4.14
- What's the Real Risk? Practical Advice for Meal and Rest Break and Employee Pay Structure Issues and Real Case Examples of the Potential LiabilityIrvine Breakfast Briefing10.2.14
- Irvine Breakfast Briefing8.7.14
- Workplace Data Protection: Minimizing Security Breach Risks and Responding to Sensitive Information Leaks4.22.14
- It’s not always someone’s fault when private information goes rogue11.29.17
- “Legal Update: New California Laws in 2014.” Co-authored with Grace Horoupian. Entertainment Human Resources Network Newsletter. Feb. 2014.
- "Electronic Discovery Practice Under the Federal Rules.” Co-authored with Amy Longo (trial counsel for the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission) and Allan Johnson (Senior Counsel at Southern California Edison). BNA Books (4th ed., 2013).
- “Hard Times for Hard Drives: The Spoliation of Unallocated Space, Digital Discovery & e-Evidence.” Co-authored with Amy Longo. Bloomberg BNA Digital Discovery & E-Evidence Report
- “Recovering Costs of ESI Discovery: Treading Lightly After Race Tires.” Co-authored with Amy Longo. Bloomberg BNA Digital Discovery & E-Evidence Report
- “Predictive Coding: A Primer.” Co-authored with Amy Longo. Mealey’s Litigation Report: Discovery
- “Circuit Splits Create Confusion Over Data Preservation Obligations.” Co-authored with Amy Longo. The Daily Journal,
- “Development in the Debate Over Diplomatic Immunity for Diplomats Who Enslave Domestic Workers.” Presented at the First Annual Interdisciplinary Conference on Human Trafficking, U. of Nebraska-Lincoln,
- Employment Privacy Blog11.14.17
- Employment Privacy Blog1.23.17
- Loyola Law SchoolJ.D. 2009
- California State University, Long BeachM.A. 2005
- California State University, Long BeachB.S. 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California