In 2017 Rick Grimaldi led the team that favorably changed labor law on behalf of employers nationwide by successfully overturning National Labor Relations Board precedent that had previously made it easier for unions to organize small groups of employees, known as micro units, within a larger employer. The result in PCC Structurals created a new legal standard benefiting all employers, and the case typified what has been the hallmark of Rick’s career - aggressively defending the interests of businesses around the world and at the same time working to help them be better employers, leading to more satisfied employees and ultimately increased employer success in the marketplace.
This practical approach to solving workplace challenges with his clients, is a natural outgrowth of his experience leading an Employee Relations team as Director of Labor Relations for a large international technology company, and his experience serving the citizens of Pennsylvania as Deputy General Counsel to Governor Tom Ridge and Chief Counsel of the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry. Aside from his work in the seminal PCC Structurals case, he has long achieved positive results for his clients in major discrimination litigation, union campaigns, collective bargaining and arbitrations. Most importantly, Rick partners with his clients to help them achieve their workplace goals by combining sound practical strategic advice with an understanding that business decisions are never made in a vacuum.
As a co-principal of Fisher Phillips Government Relations subsidiary, FP Advocacy, Rick is also on the front lines of advocating before state and local legislative bodies to develop laws and policies that allow employers to thrive while addressing workplace concerns.
Rick has been named to Best Lawyers in America and is internationally recognized as an outstanding trainer and presenter by both clients and trade associations. He works closely with senior executives and management teams to provide hands on and practical leadership and respectful workplace training.
By combining his litigation skills, negotiating acumen and employment counseling experience on behalf of his clients, Rick actively builds strong partnerships as both a legal counselor and trusted business advisor.
- Labor Board Returns To Traditional “Community Of Interest” Factors For Union Elections
- Defense Verdict Obtained in “Sex-Plus” Case
- Winning dismissal of age and disability claims brought against a large retail client.
- Counseling a large gaming client to victory in a union campaign.
- Successful defense of a major law firm against a disability discrimination claim by the EEOC.
- Obtaining successful trial result for a large financial industry client.
- Developing strategy for major retail and hospitality clients resulting in decertification of the unions representing their employees.
- Achieving a favorable contract for a major health care client who had been at impasse with the union representing its staff.
- Co-counsel in successful defense of Unfair Labor Practice Charges alleging multiple violations of the National Labor Relations Act in which the NLRB sought injunctive relief against the employer.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, (2007-2017)
- Selected to Best Lawyers of America (2018 - 2019)
- Board of Directors, Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (2013-2017)
- Board of Directors, Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce (2007-2013)
- Member, Lawyers Club of Philadelphia
- Member, Pennsylvania Society
- Lifetime Member, Continental Who’s Who of National Business Leaders
Moyer Foundation, Board Member, Secretary and Executive Committee Member (2010-2017)
Former Chief Counsel, Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry
- Former Deputy General Counsel, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge
- FP Advocacy LLC gives voice to clients before legislative and regulatory bodies3.20.18
- Rick Grimaldi and Lori Armstrong Halber Join National Labor & Employment Law Firm2.12.13
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Philadelphia Annual One Day Seminar9.29.16
- Your Insider's Guide to Federal, Municipal & State Employment Laws: What's New and What's on the Horizon4.21.15
- "Conducting Effective Workplace Investigations" - DELVACCA 5th Annual In-House Counsel Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- "Ethical Hotspots for In-House Lawyers" - DELVACCA Ethics & Compliance CLE Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- "Family and Medical Leave Act 101" - 17th Annual Pennsylvania Employment Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- "What's Up Doc? Employee Medical Information: What an Employer Can Ask For, When and How" - 12th Annual Pennsylvania Employment Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- "Disaster or Opportunity? The Role of Employment Professionals in Global Offshoring" - 11th Annual Pennsylvania Employment Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- "Privacy and Screening in Employment - A Corporate Perspective" - Delaware Valley Corporate Counsel Association
- "Restrictive Covenants and Non-Competition Agreements" - Unisys Worldwide Recruiting & Staffing
- "Exporting Knowledge, Hiring Practices Consistent with the Deemed Export Rule" - Latin American Export Compliance Officers Conference, Ace Conference Center
- "HIPAA & Privacy, It's Your Business; European Privacy - Blueprint for Cross-Border Data Transfers" - Unisys Security Practice, McLean, VA
- Participant, "Privacy & Security in the New American Workplace," Conference, TeaNeck, New Jersey
- Guest Speaker, Corporate Crisis Management, ABA Minority Counsel Program, Tampa, FL
- Instructor, "Maintaining Successful Client Relationships," Continuing Legal Education
- Presenter, "Developing a Sexual Harassment Policy Consistent with Recent Supreme Court Decisions," Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry Labor Management Conference
- "The Future of the American Workplace" - Philly Biz Magazine,
- "Fantasy Football Costs $6.5 Billion in Workplace Productivity" - Philadelphia Business Journal,
- "An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure - The Top 3 Things You Can Do to Avoid Workplace Liability" - Greater Philadelphia of Chamber Newsletter,
- "Supreme Court Answers the Question of Who Qualifies as a Supervisor" - The Legal Intelligencer,
- "Questions Raised Regarding Who Qualifies as a Supervisor" - The Legal Intelligencer,
- "Performance Leadership" (Things Your Company Needs to Know) - Philadelphia Smart CEO Magazine,
- "Managing Employee Relations" - Smart Business,
- Regular guest on Talk Radio 1210 WPHT Philadelphia
- Interviewed on KYW News Radio, regarding unpaid internships
- Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce 9th Annual Read to Me Early Literacy Program,
- Executive Leaders Radio,
- Executive Leaders Radio,
- Appearance Employee Free Choice Act, Michael Smerconish Program, 1210, WPHT (Nationally Syndicated)
- Moderator - EFCA and Employee Choice, 2 Hour Broadcast Live Program on Location at Philadelphia Doubletree, 1210 WPHT,
- Appearance/Panelist School Privacy in the Wake of Virginia Tech, Its Your Turn with Lynn Doyle, Comcast,
- Government Relations Blog3.31.15
- Cross Border Employer Blog11.21.14
- Government Relations Blog11.5.14
- Government Relations Blog4.1.14
- Government Relations Blog4.1.14
- Villanova University School of LawJ.D. 1987
- Temple UniversityB.A. 1983, magna cum laude
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court