Courtney Leyes is an associate in the firm's Memphis and Gulfport offices. She represents employers throughout Mississippi and the greater Memphis-metropolitan area, with particular focus on the burgeoning industrial areas in the northern part of the state.
Courtney has experience representing employers in litigation related to discrimination and harassment in the workplace, in particular, federal jury trial experience. She also has experience representing employers on wage and hour issues in both the court system and before the Department of Labor’s Wage & Hour Division (WHD). Specifically, Courtney has represented employers in several Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) collective actions over the past couple of years.
Courtney also advises her clients regarding a variety of employment matters, including employee handbooks and policies, severance agreements, and other employee contracts. While in law school, Courtney clerked for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC) Office of Legal Counsel.
Courtney is a frequent speaker on LGBT issues in the workplace.
Courtney is AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and was listed in Mid-South Super Lawyers – Rising Stars in 2014 and 2015.
- Beverly Crabb v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc./Sherry Pharr v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 2012 WL 4092427 (N.D. Miss. Sept.17, 2012) (granting summary judgment in favor of employer as to both plaintiffs’ Section 1981 race and retaliation claims and state law claims).
Honors & Leadership
- Legislative Director, Society for Human Resource Management, Northwest Mississippi Chapter
- Advisory Team Chairman and Honor Board Adviser for Delta Zeta chapter, Delta Gamma Fraternity (2015-present)
- Mock Trial Facilitator for Delta Gamma Fraternity’s Living Carefully Program (2015-present)
- Mewtopia, Volunteer (2013-present)
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- A Fisher Phillips Memphis Breakfast Series Seminar8.25.16
- Sexual Orientation Legal Issues in the Workplace - Feeling Uncertain? A Survival Guide for the HR Professional5.7.14
- 13th Annual Human Resource & Manager's Seminar: What HR Professionals and Your Managers Should Know - Memphis, TN11.7.13
- To Don and to Doff? What are Union and Non-Union Employers' Liability Under the Fair Labor Standards Act?3.4.15
- The Times They Are A-Changin': How HR Professionals Can Handle Workplace Issues Related to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity6.18.14
- Employee Defection and Trade Secrets
- Employment Discrimination and Related Litigation
- Employment Law Training
- Jury Trials
- Employment Policies and Procedures
- Labor Arbitration
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Labor Relations
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
- Class and Collective Actions
- Retail Industry
- University of Mississippi School of LawJ.D. 2008, magna cum laude
- University of MissouriB.A. 2005, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee