Fisher Phillips’ Mine Safety & Health attorneys represent clients in the mining industry on matters arising from the Federal Mine Safety and Health Act and state mine safety agencies. The team regularly advises on civil and criminal enforcement issues, discrimination complaints, and accident investigations.
Our Mine Safety & Health attorneys devote a substantial portion of their practices to preventative measures. They frequently present on mine safety and health topics, and routinely provide innovative training to safety professionals and supervisors under the Federal Mine Safety and Health Act. Our team is dedicated to supporting the safety of those involved in mining operations, in turn, creating a safer workplace.
Our attorneys provide advice and counsel on the following:
- Accident investigations, special investigations and safety discrimination investigations
- Litigation before the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission, state regulatory agencies and in federal and state courts
- Mine site assistance during rescue, recovery and investigation of major mine disasters
- Drafting and submitting petitions for modifications and variance requests
- Preparation and submission of mine plans
- Drafting comments on proposed rules
- MSHA regulatory interpretation and compliance
- Supervisor training seminars and other in-house safety seminars
- Safety and health audits
- Charges of discrimination, retaliation or whistleblowing activities
- State decertification actions and civil and criminal investigations in cases where violations of the Mine Safety and Health Act are alleged