Stephen C. Mitchell
Stephen Mitchell is managing partner of the firm's Columbia office. His practice emphasizes traditional labor law and employment litigation.
For over 25 years Steve has focused a majority of his practice on the representation of employers in the traditional labor law arena. His practice includes advising clients on collective bargaining, avoiding and responding to unfair labor practices, acquisition of unionized facilities, union organizing efforts, corporate campaigns, labor arbitrations, and work stoppages. Steve has represented employers throughout the United States from Florida to the North Slope of Alaska. Steve’s client base is diversified and includes private equity firms, banks, multinational manufacturing companies with large distribution facilities and clients in the oil and gas industry.
Steve started his career as a prosecutor, gaining valuable trial experience. He has handled administrative charges and lawsuits in state and federal courts involving wrongful discharge, Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), employment testing, as well as other types of employment-based claims. Steve has also assisted employers in handling class action litigation.
Steve is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a Specialist in Employment and Labor Law and a Contributing Editor of the Developing Labor Law. He currently serves on the South Carolina Chamber Board of Directors. He is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Steve has been listed in Chambers USA since 2007, included in South Carolina Super Lawyers since 2009, and has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America since 2010. Steve was also named to Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elite of the Midlands in 2015.
Steve is also a member the John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- South Carolina Super Lawyers since 2009
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America since 2010
- "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elite of the Midlands in 2015
- Contributing Editor, "The Developing Labor Law, 5th ed. and Supplements" since 2006
- Chapter Author, ABA/BNA Treatise “Employment At Will: A State by State Survey," 2012
- Past member, Executive Committee for the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys
- Member, John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- Board of Directors, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce
- Board for the Cooperative Ministry (Past Chair and serve on Executive Committee)
- Member of the IADC (International Association of Defense Counsel)
- Member, 2017 SC Diversity Leaders
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Latest Edition Written by Fisher Phillips Labor and Employment Attorneys8.11.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- One Day, Many Solutions Columbia5.4.16
- “The Election’s Impact on the National Labor Relations Board and Unions” – Inside Counsel Super Conference – Chicago, IL
- University of South Carolina School of LawJ.D. 1991
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
- South Carolina
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina