Susan M. Guerette
Susan Guerette is a member of the firm’s COVID-19 Taskforce, a cross-disciplinary team of attorneys dedicated to advising employers on the many workplace law aspects of the global coronavirus pandemic.
Susan Guerette is a partner in the firm's Philadelphia office and Co-Chair of the Employee Defection and Trade Secrets practice group. She has a national practice representing management on a wide range of labor and employment matters including defending claims of discrimination based on race, gender, age, disability, and national origin.
Susan focuses on litigating cases involving covenants not to compete, non-solicitation, non-use, and non-disclosure agreements, trade secrets, fiduciary duty, duty of loyalty, and similar claims arising from the movement of employees between competitor firms.
Susan has litigated more than 400 employee defection and recruitment matters in over 30 different states, as well as numerous arbitration actions before arbitration panels (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD) and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)).
She has represented clients in a variety of industries, including regional, national and international securities brokerage, discount stock brokerage, banking, online retailing, food manufacturing and distribution, industrial gas distribution, healthcare staffing and placement, computer hardware/software sales and distribution, computer consulting and services, medical and dental practice, life insurance companies, professional employee search and placement, temporary professional staffing and medical device companies.
Susan is also a member of the firm's Education Practice Group, which represents private educational institutions in employee, student, and board issues.
Susan counsels employers on employment policies, immigration issues and compliance with local, state and federal statutes. She drafts and reviews employer policies and severance agreements and negotiates employee compensation and employment agreements.
In addition to her litigation practice, Susan helps clients develop and implement coordinated programs to protect against employee defection, and to minimize the risks that arise when hiring employees from competitors.
Susan is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and was listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Stars from 2005 through 2010. Susan has also been included in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers since 2011.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Stars, (2011-2017)
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chester County Bar Association
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution's (CPR Institute)
- National Task Force on Diversity in ADR
- Member, Schuylkill Township Zoning Board
- Member, Women's Leadership Network Board for the Eastern Technology Council
- Board member, Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital Foundation
- Co-Chair of the Employee Defection and Trade Secrets Practice Group Talks to SHRM About What’s In Store for Non-Competes11.25.20
- Recently Released Report from Lex Machina Ranks Firm as the Most Active in Trade Secret Practice Area in 20194.28.20
- Labor and Employment Attorneys Represent Offices Across U.S.1.2.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Non-Compete Update: Practical Guidance in Response to COVID-19, American Bar Association
- Top 10 Things to Do When An Employee Resigns to Join a Competitor, ACC Greater Philadelphia
- Protecting Confidential Business Information as You Prepare For Employees to Return To Work Or To Continue Working From Home, ACC Greater Philadelphia
- What Employers Need to Know About the Potential for Federal Noncompete Legislation Under the New Administration12.3.20
- Course Change: What Private Schools Can Expect in the First Months of the Biden Administration
Top 10 Things Companies Can Do to Protect Their Trade Secrets When an Employee Resigns, American Bar Association
- Keystone Employment Law Blog9.21.18
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog3.17.16
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog12.16.12
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog7.16.12
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog3.19.12
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog9.23.10