Phillip C. Bauknight
Phillip Bauknight is an associate in the firm’s New Jersey office. His practice focuses on employment, business, and labor issues with an emphasis on joint employment, Title VII, discrimination and franchise business matters. Phil regularly appears in federal, state, appellate, and administrative courts as well as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and various state agencies.
Phil is an active member of the legal community, in particular with the American Bar Association where he holds a leadership position in the Tort, Trial, and Insurance Practice Section, and is deeply involved with the Forum on Franchising.
Phil is an experienced public speaker and author who presents and writes on a range of employment issues, including those related to franchise business matters.
Successfully represented client before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, resulting in affirmation of the District Court’s decision granting summary judgment in favor a client on claims for invasion of privacy. Comolli et al. v. Huntington Learning Centers, Inc. et al. (Case 16-1486).
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers - Rising Stars List - (2014-2017)
- Selected to The National Black Lawyers Top 40 under 40 List - (2015-2016)
- IADC Trial Academy Graduate - (2013)
- Winner, Morris County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Mock Trial Competition - (2009)
- American Bar Association Tort, Trial, and Insurance Practice Section - Employment Law and Litigation Committee, Membership and Diversity Chair, (2016-present); Membership Chair - (2015-2016); Publications Chair - (2014-2015); Vice Chair - (2013-2014)
- Lead Author/Editor, Employment Law and Litigation Committee's section of the American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal - (2014)
- American Bar Association - Forum on Franchising
- New Jersey Bar Association, Member
- National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40, Executive Committee Member
- West Orange Scholarship Fund, Trustee - (2016-present)
- President of the Union County Boys and Girls Club Bike Exchange - (2012-2013)
- One Named to 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers List of Rising Stars3.19.18
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "The Future of Work: Managing Employee Performance in Evolving Times"
2017 GSC SHRM Annual Conference & Expo
- "Ethics in the Workplace: Standards, Expectations, Investigations, Social Media & Minimizing Risk"
ACC New Jersey – Breakfast Briefing
- "Franchise Business Law Boot Camp," National Business Institute, Webinar
- “The Changing Landscape of Joint Employer Status,” Morris County SHRM’ 9th Annual Employment Law Symposium, Randolph, NJ
- "The Business Case For Diversity In the Attorney-Client Relationship," American Bar Association's second annual Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) Conference, Atlanta, GA
- "Franchise Litigation: A Practical Crash Course for Both Franchisors and Franchisees," NBI Seminar
- "Where's the Beef? NLRB Rules That Wendy's Franchisee's Mandatory Class Action Waiver Is Unlawful," Republished in Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Employment Law and Litigation Newsletter, Spring 2016.
- "The NLRB's McDonald's Directive: A Supersized 'McStake'?," Republished in Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Employment Law and Litigation Newsletter, Winter 2015, with recent updates.
- "The NLRB's McDonald's Directive: A Supersized 'McStake'?," New Jersey Law Journal, October 20, 2014.
- “Recent Developments in Employment Law and Litigation,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 49-1, (Fall 2013), Lead Author/Editor.
- "Leave As A Reasonable Accommodation: What You Need To Know," New Jersey Law Journal, January 23, 2012.
- Rutgers School of LawJ.D. 2008
- Rutgers UniversityB.A. 2005
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York