Kathleen McLeod Caminiti
Kathie Caminiti is a partner in the firm's New Jersey and New York offices, and co-chair of the Pay Equity practice group. She has extensive experience handling employment litigation matters, ranging from individual plaintiff discrimination claims to wage and hour class and collective actions.
Kathie has successfully defended cases alleging civil rights violations, race, sex, age and handicap discrimination, sexual harassment, whistle-blowing, wrongful discharge and retaliation. Kathie has a sophisticated wage and hour practice and has distinguished herself in Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)/wage and hour litigation. Kathie currently is the lead counsel on a number of nationwide class and collective actions and has obtained favorable outcomes for clients in various wage and hour matters, including class and collective actions arising under the FLSA and various state laws.
Kathie has also defended employers and financial institutions in Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) cases, including class actions, seeking severance, pension and health and welfare benefits, as well as trade secret and restrictive covenant litigation.
Kathie counsels her clients on compliance with the law in such areas as employment discrimination, disability law, wrongful termination, reductions in force, FMLA and leave laws, sexual harassment, pay equity, and wage & hour matters and issues related to employee classification, including issues involving independent contractors and interns. Kathie also assists clients in their liability prevention efforts by conducting employee training, preparing handbooks and implementing policies, as well as wage and hour and pay equity audits.
Recently, Kathie has been dedicating her time to analyzing the legal issues surrounding pay equality, including defense of collective actions under the Equal Pay Act, and the proposed EEOC regulations requiring that EEO-1 reports include pay date and state pay equity legislation and litigation. As a member of the firm’s Education Practice Group, Kathie regularly provides advice to a number of private educational institutions regarding employee, student and Board issues.
Her expertise is frequently quoted by ABC News, NJBiz, HR Executive, NJ 101.5 and other media outlets. She has published numerous articles that have appeared in The New York Law Journal, New Jersey Business, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine and Practical Law Institute regarding a variety of employment-related issues.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers (2015-2016)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2016-2017)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Two Named to 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers List of Rising Stars3.14.17
- Four Named to 2016 New Jersey Super Lawyers List, One to Rising Stars3.11.16
- Four Named to 2015 New Jersey Super Lawyers List, One to Rising Stars3.13.15
- Labor and Employment Attorneys Represent Offices Across U.S.1.2.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Family Medical Leave and the New Jersey Family Leave ActNew Jersey Association of Independent Schools (NJAIS) Finance Officer Conference5.4.17
- 2017 National Business Officers Association (NBOA) Annual Meeting3.23.17
- The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Annual Conference3.2.17
- Author: “Five ‘Must Have’ HR Policies” - NJ Business
- Author: “Employment Legislation: Recent Developments and What’s on the Horizon” - New Jersey Lawyer Magazine
- Practitioner Insights: Kathie has written numerous articles on FMLA and New York leave issues for Practitioner Insight, published on the WestlawNext legal research platform.
- Quoted: "Be careful: For legal reasons, ACA-prompted wellness programs must be structured carefully" - NJBiz
- Quoted: “An Outbreak of Flu-Related Legal Issues” - Corporate Counsel
- Quoted: "Don’t Bother Applying If You’re Unemployed" - "Talent Management
- Quoted: “Employers Face New Regulation” - NJBiz
- Quoted: “Sick Kids Add to Workplace Anxiety” - HR Executive Online
- Boston College Law SchoolJ.D. 1987, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Rutgers CollegeB.A. 1984, cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York