Kathleen McLeod Caminiti
Kathie Caminiti is a partner in the firm's New Jersey and New York offices, and co-chair of the Pay Equity practice group. She has extensive experience handling employment litigation matters, ranging from individual plaintiff discrimination claims to wage and hour class and collective actions.
Kathie has successfully defended cases alleging civil rights violations, race, sex, age and handicap discrimination, sexual harassment, whistle-blowing, wrongful discharge and retaliation. Kathie has a sophisticated wage and hour practice and has distinguished herself in Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)/wage and hour litigation. As lead counsel on a number of nationwide class and collective actions, Kathie has obtained favorable outcomes for clients in various wage and hour matters, including class and collective actions arising under the FLSA and various state laws.
Kathie has also defended employers and financial institutions in Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) cases, including class actions, seeking severance, pension and health and welfare benefits, as well as trade secret and restrictive covenant litigation.
Kathie counsels her clients on compliance with the law in such areas as employment discrimination, disability law, wrongful termination, reductions in force, FMLA and leave laws, sexual harassment, pay equity, and wage and hour matters, including issues related to employee classification. Kathie also assists clients in their liability prevention efforts by conducting employee training, preparing handbooks and implementing policies, as well as wage and hour and pay equity audits.
As a chair of Fisher Phillips’ Pay Equity Practice Group dedicates her time to analyzing the legal issues surrounding pay equality, state pay equity legislation and litigation and pay equity compliance audits.
Her expertise is frequently quoted by ABC News, NJBiz, HR Executive, NJ 101.5 and other media outlets. She has published numerous articles that have appeared in The New York Law Journal, New Jersey Business, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine and Practical Law Institute regarding a variety of employment-related issues.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers (2015-Present)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2016-Present)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pay Equity Practice Leader Shares 5 Things Employers and Employees Have To Know About the NJ Equal Pay Act3.25.18
- One Named to 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers List of Rising Stars3.19.18
- Pay Equity Practice Group Co-Chair Offers Tips for New Jersey Employers to Stay Compliant with Pay Equity Mandates7.9.17
- Two Named to 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers List of Rising Stars3.14.17
- Four Named to 2016 New Jersey Super Lawyers List, One to Rising Stars3.11.16
- Four Named to 2015 New Jersey Super Lawyers List, One to Rising Stars3.13.15
- Labor and Employment Attorneys Represent Offices Across U.S.1.2.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- WebinarMultiple Dates
- Dollar for Dollar: New Jersey's New Diane B. Allen Equal Act Act and Other Recent Developments in Employment Law6.15.18
- April 16-20, 2018
- WebinarMultiple Dates
- Can Employers Hide from Historical Patterns of Unequal Pay in the Era of Computers and Big Data5.19.17
- Family Medical Leave and the New Jersey Family Leave ActNew Jersey Association of Independent Schools (NJAIS) Finance Officer Conference5.4.17
- The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Annual Conference3.2.17
- 2017 National Business Officers Association (NBOA) Annual Meeting2.28.17
- Author: “Five ‘Must Have’ HR Policies” - NJ Business
- Author: “Employment Legislation: Recent Developments and What’s on the Horizon” - New Jersey Lawyer Magazine
- Practitioner Insights: Kathie has written numerous articles on FMLA and New York leave issues for Practitioner Insight, published on the WestlawNext legal research platform.
- Quoted: "Be careful: For legal reasons, ACA-prompted wellness programs must be structured carefully" - NJBiz
- Quoted: “An Outbreak of Flu-Related Legal Issues” - Corporate Counsel
- Quoted: "Don’t Bother Applying If You’re Unemployed" - "Talent Management
- Quoted: “Employers Face New Regulation” - NJBiz
- Quoted: “Sick Kids Add to Workplace Anxiety” - HR Executive Online
- Boston College Law SchoolJ.D. magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Rutgers CollegeB.A. cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan