J. Hagood Tighe
Hagood Tighe is a member of the firm’s COVID-19 Taskforce, a cross-disciplinary team of attorneys dedicated to advising employers on the many workplace law aspects of the global coronavirus pandemic.
Hagood Tighe is a partner in the firm's Columbia office and co-chair of the Wage and Hour practice group. He practices exclusively in the area of labor and employment law, representing management in traditional labor matters and employment litigation.
Hagood is an active member of the firm's class and collective action practice. In recent years, Hagood has handled approximately 40 class and collective actions throughout the country. Much of his class and collective experience is in the wage and hour area. He also has extensive experience with WARN Act class action litigation.
While he maintains an active litigation practice, he also focuses on providing practical and proactive advice designed to minimize the risk of litigation.
Hagood provides training for supervisors and managers on harassment, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) compliance, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and many other areas. Additionally, Hagood has authored numerous articles in the area of employment law and regularly lectures at seminars regarding employment law.
Hagood has extensive experience in the area of traditional labor working with employers throughout the United States. Hagood has successfully run many union avoidance campaigns, tried labor arbitrations, and litigated unfair labor practices before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). He has also worked with several large national employers to develop strategic plans to maintain positive employee relations – thus reducing the likelihood of successful union organizing.
In 2013, Hagood received the Carolyn Holderman Vision Award by the Central Carolina Community Foundation for his leadership as Chairman.
Hagood was a 2004 recipient of the Silver Compleat Lawyer Award from the University of South Carolina School of Law Alumni Association. This award recognizes alumni who have made significant contributions to the legal profession and who exemplify the highest standard of professional competence, ethics, and integrity.
Hagood is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been included in South Carolina Super Lawyers. He has been listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2007 and in The Best Lawyers in America since 2008.
He was recognized as a Labor Law-Management Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America for 2017 and Employment Law-Management Lawyer of the Year in 2019. Hagood was recognized as Lawyer of the Year, Labor Law - Management by Best Lawyers in 2020.
Hagood has been selected by his peers to be one of Greater Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elite every year since 2010. The same publication named him one of the "50 Most Influential People for 2011."
He is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a Specialist in Employment and Labor Law.
In 2013, The Richland County Bar Association recognized Hagood with its Civic Star Award.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2011 – 2021)
- Named a BTI Consulting "Client Service All-Star" for 2019
- Named, Employment Law-Management Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America, 2019
- Named, Labor Law-Management Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- Named, Lawyer of the Year, Labor Law - Management by Best Lawyers in America, 2020
- "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed as a South Carolina Super Lawyer
- Recognized in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2007
- Treasurer and Board of Governors Member, South Carolina Bar (2020)
- House of Delegates Chairperson, South Carolina Bar Association (2016)
- Chair of the South Carolina Bar Conventions Committee, South Carolina Bar's House of Delegates (2010-2011)
- Chair, South Carolina Bar's Employment and Labor Law Section
Hagood has served as a Deacon at Eastminster Presbyterian Church and was a board member for Jubilee Academy. Hagood is Chairman Emeritus of the Cultural Council of Richland and Lexington Counties, and he is immediate past Chair of the Central Carolina Community Foundation, and the University of South Carolina Partnership Board of the College of Hospitality, Retail, and Sport Management. He has been involved in numerous other charitable organizations. Hagood received a Carolyn Holderman Vision Award for his work as a visionary leader during his tenure as the Foundation's Board Chairman in 2012-2013.
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best in the U.S. for Labor & Employment Law4.25.19
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Latest Edition Written by Fisher Phillips Labor and Employment Attorneys8.11.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- 2nd Annual Executive Summit 201710.13.17
- One Day, Many Solutions Columbia5.4.16
- Fisher Phillips Participates In Columbia SHRM's Update For Human Resources And Business Professionals4.17.14
- Speaker: “Recent Developments in Federal and South Carolina Law,”
South Carolina Bankers Association 2020 Human Resources Conference
- "What's In Your Wallet?"
"Ask a Lawyer Panel"
Columbia SHRM Labor and Employment Legal Workshop
- Hospitality and Wage and Hour Co-Chairs Explore “Overtime Rule 2.0’s” Impact on Quick-Service Restaurants10.22.19
- Autonomous Vehicles Blog - Driving the Future9.21.18
- Wage and Hour Laws Blog2.5.14
- Labor Department Throws COVID-19 Curveball In Latest Guidance, Suggests Shut Down Employees Won’t Qualify For Leave3.29.20
- University of South Carolina School of LawJ.D. 1995, cum laude
- University of VirginiaB.A. 1987
- North Carolina
- South Carolina