Fred Manning is a partner in the firm's Columbia office. He has extensive experience litigating employment law matters involving civil rights, contracts, and wrongful termination claims.
He regularly provides advice and assistance to employers regarding the drafting and enforcement of restrictive covenants, employment contracts and corrective action. Fred has assisted employers throughout the United States in union related matters.
He also has extensive experience in representing private colleges and universities in matters relating to employment and faculty and student issues.
Fred is the author of "Public Policy Exception Open to Possible Expansion in Employment At-Will Situations" 48 S.C.L. Rev. 133 (1996). He is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a Specialist in Employment and Labor Law.
While in law school, he served as the Associate Editor-in-Chief for the South Carolina Law Review. Fred is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and he has been listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2013.
Fred has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2012 and he was recognized as a Litigation - ERISA Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America for 2014. In 2015, he was named to Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elites of the Midlands. He is a member and former president of the John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court and former chair of the South Carolina Bar’s Labor and Employment Law Section.
- Martin v. Alumax of South Carolina, Inc., 380 F. Supp. 2d 723 (D.S.C. 2005)
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2013
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America since 2012
- Recognized as a Litigation - ERISA Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America for 2014
- Officer of the John Belton O'Neall Inn of Court
- Member, South Carolina Bar Section on Labor and Employment Law
- Former President of the John Belton O'Neall Inn of Court
- Former Chair, South Carolina Bar Section on Labor and Employment Law
- Officer, Marines - (1989-1993)
- Member, Board of Directors, South Carolina National Kidney Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, Columbia Council of the Navy League
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best in the U.S. for Labor & Employment Law4.25.19
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Latest Edition Written by Fisher Phillips Labor and Employment Attorneys8.11.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- One Day, Many Solutions Columbia5.4.16
- University of South Carolina School of LawJ.D. 1997
- Oriel College, Oxford UniversityM.St. 1988
- The University of the SouthB.A. 1987
- South Carolina
- South Carolina Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court