Alden J. Parker
Alden Parker is the managing partner of the firm's Sacramento office. Alden represents employers in all facets of employment law matters. He has considerable experience defending employers in litigation involving claims under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), California’s wage and hour laws, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). Alden has also defended employers against whistleblowing and retaliation claims, including claims under the California Whistleblower Act and various provisions of the California Labor Code.
Alden has extensive experience defending employers in federal and state court, as well as in investigations by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), United States Department of Labor (DOL) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
In addition to defending his clients in litigation, Alden frequently counsels employers to assist them in avoiding litigation. He regularly advises clients on leave management issues and the interactive process for employees with disabilities, reinstatement obligations under various leave laws and wage and hour compliance. Alden has prepared employee handbooks and a variety of agreements, including independent contractor, employment, confidentiality and trade secrets agreements.
His clients are involved in a variety of industries, including restaurants, retail, construction, and healthcare. Alden is also a frequent speaker for many human resources organizations, including those affiliated with the Society for Human Resource Management.
Alden has been recognized in Northern California Super Lawyers since 2013 and Northern California Top Lawyers since 2014.
- Represented retail, restaurant, agricultural, automotive, lodging/hospitality, and insurance broker employers throughout the state of California in defense of claims of employment harassment/discrimination/retaliation (gender, race, age disability, national origin, sexual orientation); whistleblower; wrongful termination in violation of public policy; breach of employment contract.
- Represented national retail employer in defense of multiple simultaneous claims by employees of age discrimination and harassment.
- Represented national retail employer in defense claims of disability discrimination, disability harassment, and retaliation for taking a protective leave of absence under FMLA/CFRA.
- Defended restaurant employer in class action wage and hour suit filed by restaurant managers alleging misclassification, unpaid overtime, denial of meal and rest periods in violation of the California Labor Code. Successfully had the class allegations dismissed, along with one of the representative class members.
- Defended restaurant employer in class action wage and hour suit filed by servers alleging improper deductions taken from their paychecks.
- Defended restaurant employer in class action wage and hour suit filed by servers alleging unpaid overtime and denial of meal and rest periods in violation of the California Labor Code. Successfully had the class allegations dismissed.
- Defended delivery employer in class action wage and hour suit filed by commercial drivers alleging multiple violations of the California Labor Code, Wage Orders, and F.L.S.A.
- Defended automotive industry employer in multi-plaintiff wage and hour suit filed by salesperson, claiming unpaid overtime, meal and rest periods, and unlawful deductions from commissions.
- Represented employers/business establishments in federal court in defense of lawsuits under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Represented numerous employers in litigation involving allegations of misclassification of individuals as independent contractors.
- Represented restaurants in class action consumer litigation involving gift cards.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers (2013-Present)
- Northern California Top Lawyers (2014-2016)
- Eagle Scout
- California Restaurant Association
California League of Food Processors
California Lodging Industry Association
California New Car Dealers Association
- Sacramento Area Human Resources Association
- San Joaquin Human Resources Association
- Professional Liability Underwriters Association (PLUS)
- Member, State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, National Eagle Scout Association
- American Cancer Society
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Fisher Phillips 2017 California SeminarsSeptember 7 - 28, 2017
- It’s Never Too Late To Comply7.26.16 - 8.16.16
Alden is an extremely well regarded speaker, regularly training and speaking on a wide variety of employment law topics. He has been a guest speaker for the Sacramento Area Human Resources Association, the San Mateo Employers' Advisory Council, the Merced Employers' Advisory Council, the San Joaquin Human Resource Management Association's monthly seminars, and the Central Valley Human Resource Management Association's monthly seminars. He also frequently conducts training seminars throughout the United States on employment law issues for management and non-management employees.
You can see Alden's upcoming speaking engagements on his LinkedIn page or follow him on Twitter @Callaborlaw.
- New State Law Will Mandate “Phase-In” Overtime Requirements9.13.16
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of LawJ.D. 1998
- University of Salzburg1996
- University of California, San DiegoB.A. 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California