Five Ways to Guarantee a Lawsuit
Here are the first five of 10 common - but often forgotten - pitfalls that lead to liability and lawsuits for business owners, as well as tips to help avoid them.
- If she can fog a mirror, hire her - many employers get so caught up in the rush to add new employees that they fail to follow basic rules when hiring.
- Don't give them any instructions - many employers are in such a hurry to hire workers that they fail to provide employees with any instructions about their jobs.
- Pay them all a salary - we have seen a surge in wage and hour claims at the federal and state level in the past few years.
- Blow off their harassment complaints - employees are aware of their rights to work in an environment free of harassment and discrimination.
- Get revenge for their complaints - almost 30 percent of the charges filed with the EEOC in the 2007 fiscal year included some form of retaliation claim.
This article appeared in the November 6, 2008 issue of the Daily Journal of Commerce - Portland, OR.