Tips from a Lawyer: Employee Attire
The article “Tips from a Lawyer: Employee Attire” featured in The Back Burner examines the challenges of employee appearance and attire in the food service industry. Todd Fredrickson provided tips for employers during his session, “Breaking Bad Behavior: Employee Behavior Do’s and Don’ts” at the Colorado Restaurant Show.
Written company policies are always the first step to an employer’s defense should they face any discrimination lawsuits. When drafting a policy, Todd suggests:
- Clearly communicate your branding, image, values and mission
- The burden on each gender should be equal
- Safety could trump religious protections
- Basic grooming standards may be enforced
- Implement a dress code the right way
To read the full article, please visit The Back Burner.