Todd A. Fredrickson
Todd Fredrickson is a partner in the Denver office.
Todd is one of a small number of Denver labor attorneys who practice traditional labor law, representing employers in union campaigns, contract negotiations, grievance arbitrations and unfair labor practice charges. He also tries employment cases before juries, judges, and arbitrators. His practice involves representing employers in various matters arising under such laws as Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), and Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA).
Todd regularly counsels clients on a spectrum of personnel management issues, with the goal of avoiding litigation. To that end, he advises employers on developing and enforcing proper policies, employee handbooks, and employment and compensation agreements.
Todd also counsels employers on compliance with federal and state wage and hour laws. Much of his practice focuses on training supervisors, managers, and other employees on such issues as sexual harassment, discrimination, employee discipline and discharge, and investigation of employee grievances.
Todd is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been included in the Colorado Super Lawyers list since 2006. He has also been listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2009 and in The Best Lawyers in America since 2012.
He was recognized as an Employment Law – Management Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America for 2014, 2017, and 2019. Todd was also selected as a BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star for 2011 and was named the "People's Choice" selection as the Best Employment Lawyer in Barrister's Best by Law Week Colorado six years in a row beginning 2011. He was also named to 5280 magazine’s list of Top Lawyers since 2008.
- Represented hotel, various restaurants, and resort in collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Represented various municipalities and housing authority in re-negotiation of collective bargaining agreements with locals of SEIU, FOP, IAFF, and AFSCME.
- Represented rail services company in negotiation of first contracts with various local unions of the International Union of Operating Engineers in Texas and Wyoming .Represented various employers/companies in defense of cases involving allegations of sexual and racial harassment, breach of an executive employment agreement, union organizational activities, and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented industrial construction company in unfair labor practice charges filed in Kentucky, Louisiana, Washington, and Wyoming. Represented commercial real estate developer in labor and employment due diligence for purchase of business and assumption of employment liabilities.
- Represented automobile dealership against group of 19 plaintiffs, as well as large restaurant chain in employee claims for unpaid wages and overtime.
- Represented property management company and developer in nationwide audits conducted by U. S. Department of Labor.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2012 – 2021)
- Listed in Law Week Colorado’s “Barrister’s Best” in the category of Employment Lawyers – Defense
- Recipient, 2019 Distinguished Achievement – Private Practice Alumni Award, University of Colorado Law School
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2009
- Selected to Colorado Super Lawyers list since 2006
- Recipient, 2005 Christopher A. Miranda Outstanding Hispanic Lawyer, Colorado Hispanic Bar Association
- Recipient, 2003 Richard Marden Davis Award, Denver Bar Foundation
- Recipient, 1999-2000 INROADS Corporate Achiever Award
- Recipient, 1998 Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Colorado Hispanic Alumni Association
- Member, Colorado Lawyers Committee Education Task Force
- Member, Hispanic Alumni Association
- Chair, Colorado Pledge to Diversity Law Firm Group (2003-2005)
- Chair, University of Colorado School of Law Alumni Board (2004)
- President, Colorado Hispanic Bar Association (1999)
- Past President and Member, Urban Peak Board of Directors
- Vice-President, Denver Children's Home Board of Directors
- Founder and Mentor, Horace Mann Mentoring Program
- Career Counselor, CHBA Education Committee
- Team Leader, CHBA Ride-the-Rockies Program
- Co-Founder, Legal Night at El Centro Bienestar
- Board Member, Center for Legal Inclusiveness
- Past Chair and Former Board Member, National Sports Center for the Disabled Board of Directors
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best in the U.S. for Labor & Employment Law4.25.19
- Denver Partner Speaks to Proposed Bill that Would Allow Municipalities to Set Their Own Minimum Wage Rates3.4.19
- Todd Fredrickson Awarded Distinguished Achievement11.15.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Two Prominent Denver Attorneys Join National Labor & Employment Law Firm1.18.08
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Denver Annual Seminar3.3.20
- Denver Annual Seminar4.17.18
- Denver’s Labor and Employment Law Update5.2.17
- ACC-CO Quarterly-CLE and Happy Hour9.15.16
- Denver Breakfast Briefing1.15.15
- Current LGBTQ Issues in the Workplace
ACC Colorado In-House Counsel Forum
- Responding to Allegations of Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace
Mechanical Contractors Association of America
- Annual Labor & Employment Legal Update
National Electrical Contractors Association – Rocky Mountain Chapter
- Federal Labor and Employment Law Compliance Under the New Administration: Are You Prepared?
Association of Legal Administrators Webinar
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Practical HR Practices
Colorado Restaurant Show
- Sex, Drugs and Tip Pooling
Colorado Brewers Guild Webinar
- Labor & Employment Update
National Electrical Contractors Association – Wyoming
- NLRB Policy Shifts, Case Reversals and More – Labor Law Developments for Union and Non-Union Employers
Denver Annual Seminar
- Tip Pooling
Colorado Restaurant Association
- The Denver office of Fisher Phillips presents Employment Law Jeopardy
Denver Annual Seminar
- Rethink and Prepare Now! DOL Rules Do Affect Retirement HSA Plans and Employee Salary Thresholds
- Getting Your House in Order: What You Need to Know to Excel as a New Lawyer
- "Beware March Madness: It Can Be Problematic for Employers"
- Government Relations Blog1.2.15
- University of Colorado School of LawJ.D. 1991
- University of ColoradoB.A. 1987
- Colorado Court of Appeals
- Colorado Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado