Shaun J. Voigt
Shaun Voigt is a partner in the Los Angeles office, where he represents and counsels employers in all aspects of employment law.
Shaun’s practice focuses on defending employers in wage and hour class and collective actions, as well as wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, unfair competition, and trade secret lawsuits under federal and California labor and employment laws.
Shaun has represented clients and appeared before multiple governmental agencies, such as the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE), Department of Labor (DOL), and the Employment Development Department (EDD), as well as state and federal courts throughout California. He also advises and counsels employers on various employment related issues such as hiring, termination, strategic restructuring and layoffs, disciplinary issues, medical leaves, and general employment policies and procedures.
In law school, Shaun served as an extern for the Honorable George P. Schiavelli (Ret.) of the United States District Court, Central District of California, clerked at the Department of County Counsel for the County of Los Angeles, and participated in the University of Southern California Employer Legal Advice Clinic.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national manufacturing client against claims of disability discrimination, failure to accommodate, retaliation, and violations of the FMLA/CFRA, which was affirmed in its entirety on appeal.
- Achieved multiple dismissals of investigations brought by governmental agencies, including the EDD, DLSE, DOL, DFEH, and EEOC.
- Successfully argued that an international franchising company did not jointly employ the named plaintiff in a putative wage and hour class action, resulting in complete summary judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of corporate officers alleged to be joint employers and alter egos of the entity defendant in a lawsuit alleging breach of contract, fraud, and unpaid wages.
- Murphy et al. v. Spennato et al. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of five defendants in a complex multi-plaintiff action alleging wage-hour violations, breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation, and fraud. The judgments were affirmed in full on appeal. Murphy v. Spennato, 2017 WL 3141868 (Cal. Ct. App., July 25, 2017).
- Castillo v. DHL Express (USA), Inc. Defeated class certification of Plaintiffs’ meal period, rest period, and split-shift claims. Shortly before trial, obtained dismissal of Plaintiffs’ remaining claims with a full defense judgment that was affirmed on appeal. Castillo v. DHL Express (USA), Inc., 243 Cal.App.4th 1186 (Cal. App. 2015).
- Curtis Hamilton v. Genesis Logistics, Inc. Defeated class certification in a putative wage and hour class action alleging managerial misclassification. Hamilton v. Genesis Logistics, Inc. 2014 WL 4187941 (C.D. Cal. Aug. 22, 2014).
- Doss et al. v. Genesis Logistics, Inc. Obtained voluntary dismissal of Plaintiffs’ putative class and PAGA representative claims at the pleading stage with an aggressive litigation strategy, including early law and motion.
- Rivera, et al. v. Jani-King of California, Inc. Obtained voluntary dismissal of Plaintiffs’ putative class, representative, and individual claims at the pleading stage with an aggressive litigation strategy, including early law and motion and discovery that included an award of sanctions against the putative class representatives and counsel.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Orange County Bar Association
- Member, USC Alumni Club of O.C. Beach Cities
- Fundraising Committee, Boys & Girls Clubs of Huntington Valley
- California, Employment At Will, Bloomberg BNA, chapter author, 2011, suppl. 2013, 2014, and 2015, and 2016; chapter author, 2017.
- University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, Los Angeles
- University of Southern CaliforniaB.A. 2005, summa cum laude
- California Courts of Appeal
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California