Samantha J. Monsees
Samantha Monsees is an associate in the Firm’s Kansas City office. Her practice focuses on defending employers across several industries including automotive, retail, construction and manufacturing, in claims arising from all aspects of the employment relationship, including wage and hour, harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. Samantha’s experience includes representing employers before state and local administrative agencies including the EEOC, OSHA, MCHR, the Department of Labor, and in state and federal courts. She also counsels and trains employers on day-to-day compliance issues and litigation avoidance, including conducting employee handbook review and drafting personnel policies and procedures tailored to her clients’ needs.
Additionally, Samantha is a member of the Firm’s Workplace Safety and Catastrophe Management Practice Group and regularly assists clients with workplace safety issues, including OSHA inspections, contesting OSHA citations, and litigation before the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission (OSHRC). Samantha also represents employers during OSHA inspections/investigations, defends OSH Act whistleblower/retaliation claims and provides OSHA compliance advice to clients.
Since 2018, Samantha has been selected as a Super Lawyers Rising Star. Samantha understands that when a client calls for legal advice, the matter is serious and often urgent. She knows her clients’ needs and the importance of providing prompt, efficient legal advice so that her clients can return to their businesses.
Prior to joining the firm, Samantha practiced with a Kansas City defense firm, where she engaged in employment litigation and general litigation defense practice. Her practice also included defending various premises liability, consumer protection, and personal injury claims.
- Regularly negotiates removal and reclassification of OSHA citations and penalties. Most recently achieved a significant reduction of penalties and reclassification of a repeat citation on behalf of a manufacturing client.
- Successfully argued before the Missouri Court of Appeals resulting in reversal of the circuit court’s denial of employer’s motion to compel arbitration.
- Defended FLSA collective action regarding the alleged miscalculation of the regular rate in which half of the opt-in plaintiffs were dismissed from the case, and the claims of the remaining opt-ins were disposed of favorably by virtue of offers of judgment.
- Obtained early resolution and dismissal of state wage and hour and FLSA claims of all named plaintiffs prior to certification based on presentation of facts and argument, saving client significant legal fees.
- Obtained dismissal of untimely claims for nearly half of all opt-in plaintiffs at the outset of FLSA miscalculation collective action.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Selected for Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers - Rising Star, 2018 -2019
- Member, Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City
- Member, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training: Alumni and Mentor
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Man and Woman of the Year
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Kansas City Annual Seminar4.25.18
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog1.16.20
- University of Kansas School of LawJ.D. 2012
- University of KansasB.S. and B.A. 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri