Risa B. Boerner (CIPP/US)
Risa Boerner is a partner in the Philadelphia office. She is the Chair of the firm’s Data Security and Workplace Privacy Practice Group. Risa is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and has counseled clients on issues relating to state and federal data protection laws, responding to security breaches, surveillance of employees’ electronic communications, workplace investigations and searches, social media and electronic communication policies, and the protection of trade secrets and confidential information.
Risa also regularly litigates and counsels clients on issues pertaining to the hiring and termination of employees, compliance with employment discrimination laws, negotiating and drafting employment agreements, covenants not to compete, confidentiality agreements, employee raiding, unfair competition, and related matters.
Risa has litigated employment matters in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels throughout the country and internationally. She has represented clients in a variety of industries, including printing and publishing, finance, asset management and valuation, online retailing, retail mortgage lending, home health care, personnel placement and recruitment, computer technology, construction, manufacturing, medical, securities, banking and insurance.
Risa has also assisted corporate clients in drafting and updating existing employment agreements and in implementing local and nationwide policies for protecting trade secrets and other proprietary information, and has advised clients on how to tailor restrictive covenants to comply with legal requirements in multiple jurisdictions.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, Litigation Section and Labor and Employment Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Civil Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Labor and Employment Attorneys Represent Offices Across U.S.1.2.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- CO ACC and Fisher Phillips Roundtable/Workshop Series6.23.16
- November 2017, PBI Webinar, Data Security: What Firms Should Know and Best Practices
- April 2017, PBI Employment Law Institute, Private Eyes are Watching You
- April 2016, ACC, Greater Philadelphia, In-House Counsel Conference, Restrictive Covenants for Multi-National Employers
- October 2015, DELVACCA, IT/Privacy/E-Commerce Committee Roundtable presentation, Employer Monitoring
- June 2013, DELVACCA, Employment and Labor Law Institute, Employee Privacy in the Digital Workplace
- Employment Privacy Blog2.20.18
- Employment Privacy Blog4.25.17
- Employment Privacy Blog2.3.16
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Finds That UWOA Language Does Not Waive Right to Challenge Adequacy of Consideration for Restrictive CovenantNon-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog11.23.15
- Employment Privacy Blog9.25.15
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog7.17.13
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog9.29.12
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog7.26.12
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Blog1.15.12
- Cornell Law SchoolJ.D. 1995
- University of RochesterB.A. 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania