Martin F. Thompson
Martin Thompson is Senior Counsel in the firm's Memphis office. He has been representing management exclusively in the field of labor and employment law for over 35 years. His practice includes all aspects of labor and employment laws and labor relations.
On issues concerning wage and hour laws, Martin has successfully resolved numerous agency complaints, and successfully defended clients in some of the largest class action overtime cases filed by the U. S. Department of Labor (USDOL). Martin also has extensive experience in federal and state courts and before the numerous government agencies dealing with labor or employment-related matters.
He is admitted to practice before the state courts of Tennessee, and has defended clients in the federal courts in Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Nebraska, Missouri, the Carolinas, California, Nevada, Oregon, and the 6th Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Martin was selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America in 2019 and 2020.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2019 – 2021)
- Fellow, Tennessee Bar Foundation
- Member, Order of Barristers
- Member, Memphis Bar Association: Labor & Employment Section
- Member, American Bar Association: Labor & Employment Section
- Past Chairman,Management Counsel Roundtable
Martin is a founding member of the Board of Directors of the Assisi Foundation of Memphis since 1994, and currently serves as its Chairman. He is also a Trustee of the Elmwood Historic Cemetery in Memphis. He has worked with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Memphis [BGCM] since the late 1970’s, and for the past 15 years has co-directed the annual BGCM Invitational Tennis Tournament, which has netted over $1.5 million to date.
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Memphis Annual Seminar12.13.18
- Memphis Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar5.11.17