Kristin R.B. White
Kristin R.B. White is a partner in the firm's Denver office. Kristin regularly counsels and defends clients in regulatory workplace safety matters, and often acts as crisis management counsel for employers across all industries. She acts as a strong advocate for her clients before government agencies and administrative boards, such as the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission (OSHRC), the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission (FMSHRC), and various state Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) agencies. Her experience further includes defending employers in state and federal court against civil actions, discrimination claims, and other employment law matters.
Kristin also understands the best solution to a legal problem is to keep it from happening in the first place. She has made education and prevention a part of her practice, presenting training programs and preparing written materials on how to avoid employment discrimination claims, and advising on health and safety topics under OSHA and the Mine Safety and Health Act (MSHA).
Kristin has been named a Colorado Super Lawyers® Rising Star in Energy and Resource law several years in a row and selected as the 2019 “People’s Choice for Mining Law” from Law Week Colorado in its annual “Barrister’s Best” ranking of the state’s most respected practitioners.
She was valedictorian of her law school class at the University of Tulsa and graduated with highest honors from the University of Kansas.
- Represented manufacturer in relation to allegations of improper guarding, training and chemical exposures.
- Represented construction companies regarding improper excavations and trenching.
- Represented service providers in defense of improper electrical procedures, lockout/tagout procedures and training allegations.
- Represented government contractor in Federal OSHA inspection relating to allegations of chemical and noise overexposures.
- Represented manufacturer during accident investigation and resulting citations from alleged nip-points.
- Represented national provider of cold-storage warehousing in defense of process safety management inspections in multiple locations.
- Represented electrical power plant during process safety management inspection and resulting citations.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Colorado Super Lawyers® Rising Stars - Energy & Resources Law (2013-2016)
- 2019 People’s Choice for Mining Law in Colorado, Law Week Colorado Barrister’s Best Edition
- American Bar Association, Occupational Safety & Health Committee
- American Society of Safety Professionals
- Associated General Contractors of Colorado
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Safety Association, Conference Planning Committee
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellow
- Women In Energy (WIE, Denver)
- Metro Care Giving Volunteer
- Women’s Foundation of Colorado, Volunteer
- Denver Partner Recognized in Colorado Law Week’s 2019 “Barrister’s Best”11.4.19
- Fisher Phillips Continues 2019 Expansion with Six Attorneys to Build One of the Nation’s Most Powerful Workplace Safety PracticesNational Labor & Employment Law Firm Opens Pittsburgh Office; Adds Team in Denver4.8.19
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Denver Annual Seminar3.3.20
- Building a World-Class Safety ProgramNovember 5-7, 2019
- Presenter, “MSHA: 105c & Settlement Agreements Update,” American Bar Association: 2019 Midwinter Meeting (March 5, 2019)
- Presenter, “OSHA Record-Keeping,” ASAC Annual Health & Safety Summit (February 28, 2019)
- Presenter, “OSHA’s PSM Standard: Achieving Compliance and Avoiding Pitfalls,” AIHA/RMS & ASSE Fall Technical Conference (Sept. 12, 2018)
- Co-presenter, “Understanding Ethical Responsibilities and Legal Liabilities,” ASSE Professional Development Conference & Exposition (June 4, 2018)
- Co-presenter, “Crisis Management Plans: How Good Is Your Plan Under Fire?,” ASSE Professional Development Conference & Exposition, (June 4, 2018)
- Presenter, “Employment Law Update,” ASSE Colorado Chapter (April 10, 2018)
- Presenter, “Avoiding Employee Lawsuits: Managing Sexual Harassment, Hiring, and Firing Issues in the Workplace,” RIMS Monthly Meeting (March 22, 2018)
- Presenter, “Crisis Management Plans: How Good Is Your Plan Under Fire?,” NSSGA Legal Symposium (March 7, 2018)
- Moderator, "105(c) Temporary Reinstatement: Economic vs. Actual Reinstatement and Other 105(c) Issues,” ABA: 2018 Midwinter Meeting of the Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee (Feb. 27, 2018)
- Presenter, "Workplace Violence - Steps an Employer Can and Should Take Ahead of Time," ASAC 5th Annual Health & Safety Summit (Jan. 25, 2018)
- Presenter, “OSHA Update: “Are Your Programs Ready?,” Southeast Mine Safety & Health Conference (Nov. 1, 2017)
- Presenter, “OSHA Recordkeeping Requirements: Electronic Submissions, Incentive Programs, and Drug Tests. Are Your Programs Ready?,” CRMCA/CSSGA (Oct. 10, 2017)
- Co-presenter, "Emergency Response Plans: How Good is Your Plan Under Fire?,” ASSE Professional Development Conference & Exposition (June 27, 2017)
- Co-presenter, "OSHA to EPA: Environmental & Safety Regulatory Predictions Under a Trump Presidency," Association of Corporate Counsel In-House Counsel Forum (April 5, 2017)
- Moderator, MSHA Update Panel — Recent Developments in Mine Safety and Health Law, American Bar Association Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee 2017 Midwinter Meeting (March 9, 2017)
- Presenter, "OSHA's New Recordkeeping Rule Requirements," IMA, Inc. (March 8, 2017) Presenter, "Retention Policies," Webinar to CSAC Excess Insurance Authority (Jan. 26, 2017)
- Co-presenter, "OSHA's New Recordkeeping Rule Requirements," Drug Testing and Incentive Programs, Colorado Chapter of ASSE (Jan. 10, 2017)
- Presenter, "OSHA Hot Topics," Mountains & Plains ERC Continuing Education (Oct. 20, 2016)
- Presenter, "Human Resources Legal Update," Leavitt Group (Sept. 22, 2016)
- Presenter, "Criminal Liability for OSH Professionals," ASSE Fall Technical Conference (Sept. 21, 2016)
- Co-presenter, "Effectively Managing a Crisis and the First Steps to Take When a Crisis Strikes," National ASSE Conference (June 27, 2016)
- Presenter, "The Roles and Responsibilities of an Employer After a Workplace Accident," CSU School of Public Health: Crisis Management (May 11, 2016)
- Presenter, "The Anatomy of a Workplace Accident on an OSHA Regulated Site," Rocky Mountain Safety and Health Conference (May 2, 2016)
- Presenter, "Recent Developments in Discrimination Cases Under the Mine Act, and a Comparison with the OSH Act," ABA: 2016 Midwinter Meeting of the Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee, Santa Barbara, California (March 10, 2016)
- Workplace Violence Prevention and Policy Panel Member, ASSE Spring Professional Conference 2016 (March 3, 2016)
- Presenter, Colorado Bar Association Labor and Employment Committee OSHA 11(c) cases (Dec. 17, 2015) Presenter, "Do's and Don'ts of Hiring and Firing," Colorado Livestock Association Member Meeting (Dec. 2, 2015)
- Presenter, "OSHA's PSM Standard: Achieving Compliance and Avoiding Pitfalls," 2015 ASSE Professional Development Conference, Dallas, Texas (June 9, 2015)
- Moderator, "Safety & Health Performance Matrix," Colorado Safety Association 2015 Rocky Mountain Health and Safety Conference, Westminster, Colorado (May 18, 2015)
- Presenter, Emergency Response and Crisis Management, University of Tulsa Faculty & Alumni Showcase Series (April 24, 2015)
- Presenter, "The Myth of Contractual Immunity: The Legal Risks on Multi-Employer Jobsites," 2014 ASSE Professional Development Conference (June 11, 2014)
- Presenter, "Rising OSHA Concerns In Shale Gas Development," West Virginia University, Hot Issues in Shale Play (March 27, 2014)
- Presenter, "OSHA Trends to Watch For in 2014," Jackson Kelly PLLC Webinar (March 25, 2014)
- Presenter, "MSHA: Mining Through the Regulatory Changes: The Right to Review Company Records and Criminal Prosecution," American Bar Association Occupational Safety and Health Law Committee Midwinter Meeting (March 14, 2014)
- Author, "In the #MeToo Era, increased sexual harassment claims are likely in the workplace," Aggregates Manager magazine (Feb. 2018)
- Co-author with Adam J. Schwendeman, "ALJs reject MSHA's attempt to expand definition of 'working place,'" Aggregates Manager magazine (Feb. 2017)
- Co-author with Benjamin J. Ross, "Will 2016 bring more criminal prosecutions under the DOL/DOJ worker safety initiative?, Aggregates Manager magazine (Feb. 2016)
- "Agency expands its use of Section 103(k) orders as the Commission broadens the definition of accident," Aggregates Manager magazine (Feb. 2014)
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog11.18.19
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog10.7.19
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog9.9.19
- Autonomous Vehicles Blog - Driving the Future8.27.19
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog8.19.19
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog6.7.19
- University of Tulsa College of LawJ.D., 2001
- University of KansasB.A., highest honors, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Supreme Court