John K. Skousen
John Skousen is a partner in the firm's Irvine office. His practice is concentrated on wage and hour law and employment litigation.
John has a unique blend of managerial experience in business and personnel management prior to law school, coupled with transactional and trial experience as a lawyer.
Following his graduation from law school, John served as a law clerk/staff attorney for the United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and then served as a law clerk for United States District Court Judge Walter J. Gex, III, of the Southern District of Mississippi.
Before attending law school, John worked in various management positions in a prominent Fortune 500 company in Los Angeles, during which time he earned a graduate degree in management and taught personnel management courses at California State University, San Bernardino.
Subsequently, he studied for two years at the Claremont Graduate School's prestigious executive management program in the Peter Drucker School of Management.
As a lawyer, John not only represents employers in class actions and other employment litigation, he creates and presents webinars and conducts management training on a variety of topics, including management practices impacting on state and federal equal employment opportunity laws, harassment prevention, and compliance with state and federal wage & hour laws.
John was recently appointed as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Redlands.
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Understanding California Laws on Meal and Rest Periods: The Impact of the Brinker Restaurant Case
- Proactive Wage & Hour Strategies for California Trucking Companies
- Minimum Wage As Class Warfare: A Creeping Activism
- Court Denies Safe Harbor Postponement Request IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED!7.28.16
- Procrastinators Rejoice! Employers Handed Extra Time To File Safe Harbor Election Imposed By New Piece Rate Law7.7.16
- New Federal Regulations Include A Higher Minimum Salary Requirement5.19.16
- State Reduces Thresholds for California Computer Professionals' Overtime Exemption: Changes Take Effect Immediately10.8.08
- University of Mississippi School of LawJ.D. 1992, cum laude
- University of RedlandsM.A. 1984
- Brigham Young UniversityB.S. 1979, summa cum laude
- Bahasa Indonesia