John A. Mavros is a partner in the firm’s Irvine office. He regularly litigates employment claims on behalf of management and employers. John represents his clients in all aspects of employment law, including wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. He also defends unpaid wage claims, on both an individual and class action basis, arising from minimum wage, overtime, and meal/rest period claims.
A significant part of John's practice involves legal counsel for day-to-day workforce issues. This includes topics such as employee hiring, discipline, and terminations, as well as medical leaves of absences. John also regularly assists his clients with employee handbook preparation and sexual harassment training.
John is known for being responsive to the needs of his clients and providing a high level of service his clients can trust. John is an active sponsor of the AAHOA and the Anaheim/Orange County Hotel and Lodging Association (AOCHLA). In law school, John graduated cum laude and was a member of Chapman Law Review's Executive Board. He also served as an extern for the Honorable George P. Schiavelli of the U.S. District Court, Central District of California, in Los Angeles.
Before attending law school, John worked for a hotel management company that focused on revitalizing and restoring profitability to hotels and motels. John’s experience in this industry has allowed him to provide unique insights for his hospitality clients and to understand that customer service is a number one priority.
Honors & Leadership
- Orange County Bar Association (OCBA)
- UC Irvine – Dean’s Leadership Society
- Anaheim/Orange County Hotel and Lodging Association
- California Hotel & Lodging Association
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- “How to Avoid a Costly Wage and Hour Lawsuit” - John presented a Webinar for Fit Body Boot Camp franchisees on best practices and methods to avoid a wage and hour lawsuit in the fitness industry.
- “Attract, Hire, Retain” - Wyndham Global Conference in Las Vegas, NV at the Mandalay Bay. John spoke on a panel discussing ways to attract, hire, and retain top talent and provided an employment law perspective to hotel owners, managers, and HR professionals.
4.9.2018 - 4.11.2018
- “Employment Handbooks 101" - AAHOA Convention and Trade Show in National Harbor, Maryland. John presented an educational session to hoteliers on why a compliant employee handbook is critical to minimizing risk and preventing employment claims.
3.27.2018 - 3.29.2018
- “Ensuring Safety in the #MeToo Era: Creating a No Tolerance Workplace” – John presented an educational webinar on steps to create a workplace that does not tolerate sexual harassment to respond to consistent allegations of harassment permeating the news cycle.
- “Wage and Hour for Hoteliers” - Choice Hotels Owner’s Council Regional Meeting in Anaheim, CA. John presented an educational session to Choice Hotel owners on wage and hour issues affecting hoteliers.
- AAHOA Town Hall – Three Case Studies in Employment Law: What’s the Worst That Could Happen?”
- What California Employers Need to Know1.31.17
- Are Your Employees Still Exempt?10.17.16
- Chapman University School of LawJ.D. 2008, cum laude
- University of California, IrvineB.A. 2003, cum laude
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California