James Michael Honeycutt
Mike Honeycutt is a partner in the Charlotte office. His practice focuses on labor and employment law on behalf of employers, including employment litigation defense, traditional labor law matters, and counseling clients on a wide range of personnel issues.
Mike has successfully defended employers in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies against a variety of employment-related claims, including claims alleging wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment, breach of contract, negligent hiring/retention, and wage and hour violations.
Mike also has extensive experience representing employers in actions involving unfair competition, such as claims for breach of covenants not to compete and misappropriation of trade secrets and violation of state and federal wage and hour laws.
Mike regularly conducts training for employers on a variety of subjects including union avoidance, discrimination and harassment training, and best practices for avoiding workplace problems.
Mike was a Dean Charles King Scholar at Michigan State University College of Law. While in law school, Mike interned for Michigan Circuit Court Judge Timothy P. Connors and United States District Court Judge George Caram Steeh of the Eastern District of Michigan.
Honors & Leadership
- Serves as a contributing editor to several treatises published in cooperation with the ABA in the area of employment law, including Covenants Not to Compete, Trade Secrets, Employee Duty of Loyalty and Tortious Interference in the Employment Context
- Member of the North Carolina Bar Association, Labor And Employment Law Section
- Member of the Mecklenburg County Bar Association
Mike is a member of Huntersville Presbyterian Church where he serves on the Personnel Committee. Mike also serves as a board member of The Mental Health Association for the Central Carolinas.
- Labor and Employment Attorneys Represent Offices Across U.S.1.2.09
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- One Day, Many Solutions Charlotte5.5.16
- Employee Defection and Trade Secrets
- Wage and Hour Law
- Data Security and Workplace Privacy
- Union Campaigns and Elections
- Employment Policies and Procedures
- Employment Discrimination and Related Litigation
- Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets Litigation
- Automotive Dealership
- Labor Relations
- Michigan State University College of LawJ.D. 2001, magna cum laude
- University of North CarolinaB.A. 1988
- North Carolina