Jerry Paul Cline
Jerry Cline is a member of the firm’s COVID-19 Taskforce, a cross-disciplinary team of attorneys dedicated to advising employers on the many workplace law aspects of the global coronavirus pandemic.
Jerry Cline is Of Counsel in the firm's Cleveland office. He defends employers in both Ohio and federal courts in cases involving employment disputes under Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Americans with Disabilities (ADA) and Office of Clients' Rights Advocacy (OCRA) discrimination, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Ohio workers’ compensation laws. In addition, Jerry has extensive experience defending employers at the administrative level, and has practiced before the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS), Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation (BWC), the Industrial Commission of Ohio, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
Jerry is often called on by Human Resource departments when faced with a broad range of issues, including employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation, whistleblower actions, prevailing wage disputes, NLRB charges, unemployment issues, and workers’ compensation retaliation claims. His extensive experience and ability to understand unique and complex businesses allows him to create effective employment contracts and handbooks to protect the rights of business owners through northeast Ohio.
- Liebe v. Industrial Commission of Ohio 2014 Ohio 4082 (Ohio App. 8th Dist., Sept. 17, 2014) Summary judgment for employer on complaint for writ of prohibition
- State ex rel. Roxbury v. Industrial Commission of Ohio (2014), 138 Ohio St.3d 91 Judgment for employer on complaint for writ of mandamus
- Willis v. Integrity Realty Group, LLC, 1:10-cv-1094 (N.D. Ohio, Nov. 14, 2011) Federal jury trial decision in favor of employer on issue of Title VII religious discrimination
- Wade v. Ohio Dept. of Job & Family Services, 2011 Ohio 2234 (5th App. Dist.) Judgment in favor of employer reversing the Review Commission on an abuse of discretion standard
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union No. 8 v. Vaughn Industries, Inc., 2008 Ohio 2992 (6th App. Dist.) Established fringe benefit credit for prevailing wage favorable for employers
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union No. 8 v. Vaughn Industries, Inc., 116 Ohio St.3d 335, 2007 Ohio 6439 Judgment in favor of employer on attorney fees issue
- Memmer v. Indalex, Inc., 2007 WL 496360 (N.D., Ohio) Summary judgment in favor of employer on FMLA interference and retaliation claims
- Parrot v. A.R.E., Inc., 2006 Ohio 4527 (5th App. Dist.) Summary judgment in favor of employer on disability and age discrimination claims
Honors & Leadership
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Vice President & Board of Trustees, North Coast Chamber of Commerce
- Board Representative, Power of More Westside Chambers of Commerce
- Member, SME Cleveland
- Board of Trustees, Hunt Club Homeowners’ Association, Avon Lake, OH
- Member, Saint Joseph Catholic Church, Avon Lake, OH
- Member, Cleveland Donauschwaben, Olmsted Falls, OH
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Recent Speaking Engagements 2014-2015:
- "Plugging the Dam – Intermittent & Reduced Schedule Leave"
- "LGBT Protections in the Workplace"
- "Is Your Wellness Plan a Lawsuit Waiting to Happen?"
- "Federal & Ohio Employment Law Update"
- Just Where Was Your Employee Injured And Why It Matters: Workers’ Compensation And The “Coming And Going” RuleWorkplace Safety and Health Law Blog8.11.20
- Workplace Safety and Health Law Blog7.7.20
- Capital University Law SchoolJ.D. 2002
- Rutgers UniversityB.A. 1993
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio