Hannah Sweiss represents a broad range of clients, from small businesses to national companies, in a variety of industries including trucking, hospitality, travel, manufacturing, and healthcare. Hannah’s practice is focused on representing and defending employers in class action wage-hour lawsuits as well as representative lawsuits brought under California’s Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA).
Hannah has also handled a full range of labor and employment matters, from single plaintiff to multi-plaintiff actions. Hannah has unique experience with audits before the Employment Development Department (EDD), Department of Labor and California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE). She also has experience representing employers in hearings at the DLSE.
Additionally, Hannah counsels employers on preventative measures to avoid litigation from arising on various issues including wage and hour compliance, independent contractor classification, mass layoff strategy, and management training.
Hannah has presented on a variety of Labor and Employment topics and provides manager training. She has also authored and published articles on Labor and Employment topics.
- Defeating a Temporary Restraining Order brought by a former employee against an employer client that operates several local urgent care clinics.
- Representing an aerospace manufacturer in a class action alleging unpaid wages, failure to provide meal and rest periods, failure to timely pay wages, failure to provide accurate wage statements, failure to reimburse business expenses and unfair competition. Obtained a settlement in the mid-six figures.
- Representing an international travel company in a class action alleging various wage and hour violations. Obtained a reasonable settlement and nationwide FLSA release. Provided manager training to top leadership in the company.
- Working with a California-based commercial repair client facing a wage and hour class action to successfully obtain individual releases early in the matter from the majority of current and former employees, significantly narrowing the lawsuit.
- Expeditiously resolved a PAGA and Labor Code class action for a construction company by obtaining releases, saving our client significant amounts in potential fees and expense.
- Quickly settled a PAGA and Labor Code class action for less than $300k against a California car wash chain with over 600 employees in the putative class.
- Representing a Southern California travel company with nearly 200 independent contractors through an Employment Development Department (EDD) audit. Successfully obtained an assessment of $0 owed. Garnered the same result for an out-of-state pop-up museum company – the EDD found no reason to assess any amount.
- By way of demurrer and motion for summary adjudication, successfully eliminated eight causes of action in a harassment, discrimination and wrongful termination case brought against an international carbon manufacturing business headquartered in Southern California.
- Representing a well-known law firm. Obtained a reasonable five-figure settlement in a misclassification and disability discrimination lawsuit brought by a long-time former employee.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Hannah has been named as a Southern California Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association
- Board of Trustees, 2016-18
- Chair, New Lawyers Section, 2015-18
- Arab American Lawyers Association
- Vice President
- Board of Governors
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Southwestern Law SchoolJ.D., 2013
- American University, Egypt
- California State University, NorthridgeB.A., 2007