Catharine Morisset is a partner in the firm's Seattle office. Her practice focuses on representing local and national employers in litigation in state and federal courts, on appeal, and also before the EEOC and similar state agencies in all aspects of workplace law, such as Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), Title VII, and similar state laws. Catharine also has significant experience representing ship owners and operators in traditional maritime claims, such as Jones Act personal injury, Oil Pollution Act (OPA) compliance, and cargo disputes.
Catharine uses her litigation experience to work closely with clients to provide effective preventive counseling and workforce training. This includes regularly advising and training clients on drug testing, hiring, wage-hour compliance, leaves, reasonable accommodations, investigations, employment agreements, discipline, terminations, and layoffs.
She is an active member of the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM), and is often invited to address local chapters as well as members state-wide and across the Pacific Northwest.
- St. George v. Pexco, LLC, 496 Fed. Appx. 754 (9th Cir. 2012).
- Singh v. Rockwell Automation et al., 466 Fed. Appx. 589 (9th Cir. 2012).
- Atkins et al. v. Praxair, Inc., 182 Fed. Appx. 724 (9th Cir. 2006).
- Teller v. Maersk, Inc., et al., 134 Wn. App. 696 (2006).
Honors & Leadership
- Member, Washington State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Labor & Employment Firm Off to Strong Start with Local Attorneys6.1.15
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Washington SHRM, HR Day on the Hill, “Litigation Trends,” (2014 and 2015)
- Washington Annual SHRM Conference, “BYOD Policies,” (2015)
- Northwest Human Resources Association Annual Conference: “Blame it on My Disability: Managing Disability Related Misconduct” (2014);
- Northwest Human Resources Association Annual Conference: “Facing the Facebook Dilemma” and “Surviving the Frozen Tundra: FMLA, ADA, and Workers Compensation” (2012)
- Women in International Shipping & Trade Association, Seattle: “High Times: Marijuana in the Workplace,” (2014)
- Association of Corporate Counsel – WA Chapter, “BYOD Policies,” (2013)
- Gig Employer Blog4.5.17
- 5th Circuit Case Clarifies FLSA Exemption Standard For Offshore Workers5.3.17
- Tulane Law SchoolJ.D. 1999, cum laude
- University of WashingtonB.A. 1994
- Alaska Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- Washington Supreme Court