Christine E. Howard
Christine Howard is a partner in the Tampa and Atlanta offices. She also serves as a Co-Chair of the firm's Women's Initiative and Leadership Council.
Christine focuses her practice on the defense of employment discrimination and harassment complaints and wage and hour and benefits litigation. She has successfully handled many dispositive motions, hearings and trials on behalf of employers.
Over the last decade, she has defended numerous collective action cases filed on behalf of classes of employees alleging violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), successfully defeating attempts at class certification in practically every instance. Christine also defends class actions under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), helping employers navigate these claims to successful resolutions and dismissals.
In addition to litigating matters on behalf of employers, Christine conducts workplace investigations, compliance audits, and management training.
She also counsels employers on the preventive measures they may take to avoid or reduce employment-related claims, including on issues arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Christine is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. She has been recognized in Florida Super Lawyers since 2014 and The Best Lawyers in America in 2017. She was also recognized in Georgia Super Lawyers each year from 2004 through 2008.
Christine was credited as an author on an E-Discovery Chapter in Workplace Data: Law and Litigation. The book provides an overview of legal issues associated with employment-related electronically stored information, focusing on discovery issues in particular.
- Maitland v. Employease, Inc., 2006 WL 3090120 (N.D. Ga. 2006)
- Chriss v. Royal Indemnity Co., 2006 WL 1097605 (N.D. Ga. 2006)
- Moten v. Alberici Constructors, 380 F. Supp. 2d 1355 (N.D. Ga. 2005)
- Johnson v. Fulton Concrete, 330 F. Supp. 2d 1330 (N.D. Ga. 2004)
- Taylor v. CompUSA, 2004 WL 1660937 (N.D. Ga. 2004)
- Mackenzie v. Kindred Hospitals East, LLC, 276 F. Supp. 2d 1211 (M.D. Fla. 2003)
- Mangrum v. Republic Industries, 260 F. Supp. 2d 1229 (N.D. Ga. 2003)
- Traylor v. Gene Evans Ford (Autonation), 185 F. Supp. 2d 1338 (N.D. Ga. 2002)
- Grayer v. Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, 2001 WL 1577339 (N.D. Ga. 2001)
Honors & Leadership
- Member, HR Tampa
- Member, Suncoast Human Resources Management Association
- Member, State Bar of Florida and Hillsborough County Bar Associations
- Member, Corporate Counsel and Labor and Employment Sections of the State Bar of Georgia and Atlanta Bar Association
- Member, Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal Advisory Board 2004-2006
- Chair, Fisher Phillips' Women's Initiative and Leadership Council
- National Labor and Employment Law Firm Enhances Tampa Presence9.29.08
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- One Day, Many Solutions Tampa4.21.16
- Speaker: Association of Corporate Counsel West Coast Florida Chapter: "Your Action Plan: Top Ten Items For 2014"
- Emory University School of LawJ.D. 1990, with Distinction
- Emory UniversityB.A. 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia