Collin D. Cook
Collin Cook is a member of the firm’s Essential Business Taskforce developed in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus crisis. The group is dedicated to assisting businesses impacted by shelter-in-place or shutdown orders, ensuring their doors stay open where possible in the face of government orders.
Collin Cook is a partner in the San Francisco and Irvine offices of Fisher Phillips. His practice focuses on employment litigation and includes the defense of wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation claims, as well as wage and hour class and collective actions. Collin has defended employers in state and federal court, and before federal and state agencies including the Department of Labor, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board.
In addition to his litigation practice, Collin regularly partners with human resource professionals and corporate counsel to solve challenging employment issues including addressing claims of harassment and complying with California’s complex prevailing wage laws. He routinely counsels employers on workplace safety issues, ranging from revising safety and health policies and conducting safety compliance audits to providing training on safety and health issues. A skilled litigator, Collin defends employers against OSHA enforcement actions from inspection through litigation. In addition, he routinely provides human resource training and frequently speaks on labor and employment developments, prevailing wage law, and OSHA issues.
Prior to joining Fisher Phillips, Collin practiced at a prominent firm in Orange County, where he devoted a significant portion of his practice to the defense of wage and hour actions arising out of alleged violations of the California Labor Code, the Davis-Bacon and Related Acts and the Service Contract Act. Collin also worked in the Office of the General Counsel of Volkswagen of America and the Legal Department of Hyundai Motor America. While in law school, he served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Appellate Justice Daniel A. Curry at the California Court of Appeal and studied alternative dispute resolution and international law in Berlin, Germany.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Southern California Super Lawyers - "Rising Stars" (2016)
- Southern California Super Lawyers - "Rising Stars" (2017)
- Member, Employment Law Section, Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Section, Orange County Bar Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Section, The Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, Surety Claims Association of Los Angeles
- Legal Advisory Committee, Associated General Contractors of California
Labor and Employment Law Council, Associated General Contractors of America
Collin provides pro bono legal counsel to the Downtown Streets Team, a non-profit organization committed to ending homelessness in the bay area.
- Fisher Phillips Rapidly Launches Essential Business Task Force to Advise Employers Facing a Proliferation of COVID-19 ‘Shelter-in-Place’ Orders3.24.20
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Central Coast Human Resource Association1.13.20
- March & April
- Monthly Meeting7.27.17
- The Changing Landscape of Employment Law and the Top Ten Employment Practices Contractors Should Adopt to Protect Their Business5.24.17
- Irvine Breakfast Briefing9.8.16
- San Diego Breakfast Briefing8.18.16
- Human Resource Management and the Law: Complying with Cal/OSHA's Recordkeeping and Reporting Requirements and Successfully Handling a Cal/OSHA Workplace Investigation10.15.15
- Are You Prepared For A Surprise Visit From Cal/OSHA? – Effective Workplace Safety Programs and Avoiding Costly Citations9.17.15
- California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance's Webinar - COVID-19 Harvest Protocols Webinar, July 7, 2020
- AGC’s 2018 Construction HR & Training Professionals Conference
“How to Minimize Risk, Prevent Harassment and Investigate Complaints in the Era of the #MeToo Movement"
Fort Worth, Texas
10.10.2018 - 10.12.2018
- HCC Surety Group’s “Best Bonds on the Beach” Seminar
"Defense of Claims Asserted Under California’s Prevailing Wage Laws"
Santa Monica, CA
- Effective workplace safety tips for handling high-profile accident investigations6.10.17
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Employment Discrimination and Related Litigation
- Wage and Hour Law
- Employment Policies and Procedures
- Prevailing Wage Litigation
- Construction Labor Law
- Automotive Dealership
- OSHA Inspections and Litigation
- Workplace Safety and Catastrophe Management
- California Employment Law
- Litigation of Employment Disputes
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Downsizing
- Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets Litigation
- Loyola Law SchoolJ.D. 2007
- University of California, Los AngelesB.A. 2004
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California