Brett P. Owens
Brett Owens is an attorney in the Tampa office. He devotes his practice to all aspects of labor and employment law. Brett has litigated employment disputes throughout state and federal courts in Florida, including, individual claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, trade secret and restrictive covenant disputes, and class and collective actions under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Fair Labor Standards Act.
When employers are faced with litigation, Brett strategically relies upon the discovery process to position disputes for an early resolution. When necessary, Brett has assisted with trying several cases to verdict in state court. Some of Brett’s favorite successes on behalf of clients include:
- The dismissal of three lawsuits with prejudice against a gig economy company in the early stages of litigation;
- The dismissal of a multicount complaint in the Middle District of Florida via dispositive motion practice;
- The successful enforcement of an arbitration agreement in the Middle District of Florida;
- Multiple dismissals of administrative charges of discrimination through no cause determinations.
Brett also assists clients with navigating the myriad of federal and state laws governing the employer-employee relationship to ensure compliance and reduce the risk of litigation. Brett also works with gig economy companies to prepare independent contractor agreements and prepares nondisclosure, arbitration, and noncompetition agreements for employers.
Brett was included in the Florida Super Lawyers – Rising Stars list in 2018 and is a member of the Mentor Network at the Tampa Bay Wave, a community-driven nonprofit organization that supports the success of Tampa Bay’s tech entrepreneurs and the innovative businesses they are building.
Brett earned his JD, cum laude, from the University of Florida Frederic G. Levin College of Law in 2014. Brett also completed his MS in Management in 2011 and his MBA in 2014 from the University of Florida, Hough Graduate School of Business and graduated summa cum laude, with a B.S. in Advertising from the University of Florida in 2010.
While in law school, Brett was a Judicial Intern for the Honorable James S. Moody in the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida. Additionally, Brett served as President of the Association of Law and Business, Vice President of the Levin College of Law Honor Committee, and Secretary of Florida Blue Key.
Honors & Leadership
- The Hillsborough County Bar Association Bar Leadership Class of 2018-19
- Member, Florida Blue Key
- Member, Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Member, Emerge Tampa Bay
- Member, Mentor Network at the Tampa Bay Wave, a community-driven nonprofit organization that supports the success of Tampa Bay’s tech entrepreneurs and the innovative businesses they are building.
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar SeriesMultiple Dates
- 2017 Webinar SeriesBimonthly
- Here Are the Important Topics Companies Need to Address In Their Employee Handbook12.21.17
Florida TREP - 7 Topics to Address in Your Company’s Employee Handbook August-Sept 2017 Issue
Leisure & Hospitality International – Establish A Culture: Important Topics Companies Need to Address in Their Employee Handbooks. Vol. 5, Issue 1 (published in December 2017)
Food & Drink International - Important topics to address in your company's employee handbook. Winter 2017, Volume 2
- Autonomous Vehicles Blog - Driving the Future10.10.18
- Autonomous Vehicles Blog - Driving the Future8.28.18
- Gig Employer Blog7.30.18
- Traditional Employers Are Increasingly Relying Upon Gig Platforms To Meet Short-Term Staffing Needs And Customer DemandGig Employer Blog6.12.18
- Gig Employer Blog5.10.18
- Gig Employer Blog4.25.18
- Gig Employer Blog3.26.18
- Gig Employer Blog1.24.18
- Pay Equity Matters: Mind the Gap1.10.18
- University of Florida College of LawJ.D. 2014, cum laude
- University of FloridaM.B.A. 2014 & M.S. 2011
- University of FloridaB.S. 2010, summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida