Brett P. Owens
Brett Owens is an associate in the Tampa office. His practice focuses on all aspects of labor and employment law, representing clients in a broad range of industries. He defends employers in various actions brought in state and federal courts, including individual claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Brett also assists clients with navigating the myriad of federal and state laws governing the employer-employee relationship to ensure compliance and reduce the risk of litigation. When employers are faced with litigation, Brett strategically relies upon the discovery process to position disputes for an early resolution. Through his advocacy and strategic approach, Brett’s efforts have resulted in numerous voluntary dismissals with prejudice in the early stages of litigation. When necessary, Brett has also assisted with trying several cases to verdict in state court.
Brett earned his JD, cum laude, from the University of Florida Frederic G. Levin College of Law in 2014. Brett also completed his MS in Management in 2011 and his MBA in 2014 from the University of Florida, Hough Graduate School of Business and graduated summa cum laude, with a B.S. in Advertising from the University of Florida in 2010.
While in law school, Brett was a Judicial Intern for the Honorable James S. Moody in the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida. Additionally, Brett served as President of the Association of Law and Business, Vice President of the Levin College of Law Honor Committee, and Secretary of Florida Blue Key.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, Florida Blue Key
- Member, Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Member, Emerge Tampa Bay
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar SeriesMultiple Dates
- 2017 Webinar SeriesBimonthly
- Here Are the Important Topics Companies Need to Address In Their Employee Handbook12.21.17
Florida TREP - 7 Topics to Address in Your Company’s Employee Handbook August-Sept 2017 Issue
Leisure & Hospitality International – Establish A Culture: Important Topics Companies Need to Address in Their Employee Handbooks. Vol. 5, Issue 1 (published in December 2017)
Food & Drink International - Important topics to address in your company's employee handbook. Winter 2017, Volume 2
- Gig Employer Blog1.24.18
- Pay Equity Matters: Mind the Gap1.10.18
- University of Florida College of LawJ.D. 2014, cum laude
- University of FloridaM.B.A. 2014 & M.S. 2011
- University of FloridaB.S. 2010, summa cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida