Brian J. Finucane
Brian Finucane is a partner in the firm's Kansas City office. He has practiced exclusively in the field of labor and employment law since 1977.
Brian provides a broad range of legal services in employment law, from daily client consultation designed to avoid legal problems to defending clients in complex class action litigation.
He also represents clients in traditional labor law matters, negotiating contracts and handling National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) matters, union contract arbitration, and union avoidance efforts. He represents employers across the country in state and federal courts and before the state and federal administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Department of Labor (DOL), NLRB and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Among the thousands of cases he has handled through the years, Brian represented United Parcel Service in the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case of Murphy v. United Parcel Service.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Selected – BTI Corporate Client All Star - 2020
- Selected "Lawyer of the Year" in Kansas City by Best Lawyers in America
- 2014 – Labor Law – Management
- 2015 – Employment Law – Management
- 2016 – Labor Law – Management
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2006 – 2021)
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Business Lawyers – (2003-2020)
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers – (2005-2020) (as a “Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney”)
- “AV” Rated by Martindale-Hubbell – (1989-2020)
Brian is the former Chairperson of the Missouri Bar Labor Law Committee. He is active in the American Bar Association (ABA) Labor and Employment Law Section, where he has served on the Committee on Practice and Procedure before the NLRB and Committee on Individual Rights and Responsibilities in the Workplace. He has lectured at the ABA Annual Convention, as well as on a variety of other programs including ones sponsored by the EEOC, the Kansas Commission on Civil Rights, the Missouri Bar, and the University of Missouri. Brian also has served for 15 years on the Steering Committee of the Heartland Labor and Employment Law Institute. He was a contributing editor to the labor law treatise, The Developing Labor Law, published by the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association.
Brian is a former board member of the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Kansas City and a former board member of the historic Folly Theater.
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best in the U.S. for Labor & Employment Law4.25.19
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Kansas City Annual Seminar4.25.18
- University of Missouri Columbia School of LawOrder of the Coif
- University of MissouriB.S. in Business Administration, With Honors
- Supreme Court of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Supreme Court