How to Improve Your Hiring Practices
The most effective hiring practices are those that are CLEAN.
A company is defined by the people it employs. All too often, companies reflect back on an employee's performance and wonder why they did not catch an obvious error in a job application, interview or background check.
One of the reasons these red flags are not caught is because the company does not have a formalized plan for recruiting, hiring and retaining successful employees. To that end, it is recommended that companies audit their hiring practices to ensure that they are CLEAN.
The acronym CLEAN stands for:
- Comprehensive job application;
- Listen and learn during the interview process;
- Ensure that background checks are conducted;
- Acquire the pre-hire and new-hire documentation;
- Never forget the employee handbook.
Following these five CLEAN steps will allow you to improve your hiring practices, minimize risk and maximize productivity.
This article appeared in the July 2011 issue of Fleet Maintenance.