Steven M. Loewengart
Steve Loewengart is an employment law veteran with more than 25 years of experience. Before joining Fisher Phillips he led the safety and health practice at another large firm.
Steve represents employers in a wide variety of labor and employment legal matters and serves a broad range of clients. He is a member of the Litigation, Labor and Employment Law, and Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Sections of the American Bar Association (ABA); Ohio State Bar Association’s Litigation and Workers’ Compensation Committees; Columbus Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law, Workers’ Compensation Law and Professionalism Committees; and the Central Ohio Self Insurers Association.
Steve is the Regional Managing Partner of the firm's Columbus office. He represents corporations on matters involving public policy torts, occupational disease, disability claims, wrongful discharge, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) citations and compliance, retaliation, non-compete/trade secrets theft litigation, grievances, unfair labor practice charges and regulatory compliance. His practice also includes workers’ compensation in the toxic tort/occupational litigation area. Steve has a general litigation background including asbestos, construction equipment, product liability, personal injury, wrongful death, trade secrets, insurance coverage and other matters in federal and state courts across the country.
Steve was integrally involved in the drafting and testimony in support of Amended House Bill 103: Employment Intentional Tort and other labor-related legislation, and frequently serves as amicus counsel on employment cases having impact on management interests. He is a frequent speaker for the Columbus Bar Association, Ohio State Bar Association, Lorman Continuing Education Seminars, Council on Education in Management and other organizations on workers’ compensation and other employment issues. He has also written and co-written numerous articles for ABA publications, Business First, Corporate Counsel News, Ohio Chamber of Commerce publications and other journals on related subjects including managed medical care. Steve has been selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers and listed in The Best Lawyers in America. He is also "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Defended client in a class action race discrimination claim which alleged that a bakery utilized multiple staffing agencies to segregate candidates by race in order to hire fewer African-Americans. Client is one of the staffing agencies involved; filed a motion to dismiss arguing that Plaintiff’s joint employer allegations failed as a matter of law. Rather than respond to filed motion, Plaintiff voluntarily dismissed client from the case.
- Represented a client in the aerospace device industry in a matter of the Fair Labor Standards Act involving complex joint employer issues as well as class action certification issues. Attorneys are engaged in pending trial council regarding an off the clock class action suit.
- Defended client against a religious discrimination claim brought by two Somali Muslim Union employees who alleged they were laid off after a non-associated Somali Muslim attack in the community. In addition to one employee still being currently employed by the client, the defense successfully saved the reputation of the client in the Somali Muslim community which is a large percentage of its workers.
- On-going defense of numerous Workers’ Compensation appeals which continue to save the client money by resolving cases through negotiation with little or no impact on their Workers’ Compensation insurance premiums.
- Represented client in defense of retiree and union suit against client for alleged unpaid welfare benefits under ERISA. Discovery and extensive motions practice ultimately led to a favorable settlement for the client and established a precedent with the opposing union.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America (2019)
- Litigation, Labor and Employment Law, and Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Sections of the American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association’s Litigation and Workers’ Compensation Committees
- Columbus Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law, Workers’ Compensation Law and
- Professionalism Committees
- Central Ohio Self Insurers Association
- Columbus Regional Managing Partner Emphasizes Bystander Training to Help Address Workplace Harassment11.29.18
- Steven Loewengart to Serve as Managing Partner of Firm’s 28th office.1.22.13
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Workers’ Compensation/ Road to Recovery"
- Government Relations Blog1.2.15
- University of Cincinnati College of LawJ.D. 1987
- Northwestern UniversityM.M. 1976, magna cum laude
- Northwestern UniversityB.M. 1975, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio