Seth Kaufman is an associate in the firm's New York office. His practice focuses on representing clients in connection with a wide variety of litigation, including class and collective wage and hour cases, single-plaintiff employment discrimination and retaliation claims, and administrative charges and arbitrations. Furthermore, Seth represents and regularly advises clients in all aspects of traditional labor matters, including collective bargaining, union representation elections, matters before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), and appeals of NLRB decisions. He also counsels and advises clients on compliance with state and federal law, including wage and hour issues, issues implicating the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) in both union and non-union workplaces, accommodation requests, and Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act issues.
Seth began his legal career with the Realty Advisory Board on Labor Relations, where he advised employers in the New York City real estate industry on collective bargaining matters and contract interpretation issues, and handled grievances and arbitrations on behalf of employers.
Seth has also guest lectured on employment law topics at the Tisch Institute for Sports Management, Media and Business at New York University’s School of Professional Studies.
- Successfully defended client in a Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) collective action jury trial in federal court.
- Successfully defended client against certification of wage and hour class action.
- Lead counsel in labor arbitrations and cases before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
- Conducted misclassification audits of employers and advised on reclassification roll outs and implementation.
- Advised on labor and employment matters for corporate transactions.
- Advised employers during collective bargaining and assisted lead counsel at the bargaining table, including during multi-employer bargaining.
- Advised employers on NLRB elections and represented employers during NLRB representation hearings.
Honors & Leadership
- Member, New York State Bar Association: Labor & Employment Law and Young Lawyers Section
- Member, American Bar Association
- Radio Appearance: Pay Equity in New York and Beyond – What is Causing the New Legislation and What Employers Need to Know2.23.17
- Labor & Employment Law Firm Launches New Office With Four Attorneys; Fifth Attorney Joins Firm’s New Jersey Office7.18.16
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Gig Employer Blog11.1.16
- Decision Helps Employers Who Use Independent Contractors11.1.16
- 2nd Circuit Refuses To Join Circuit Courts Siding With NLRB9.8.16
- Cornell Law SchoolJ.D. 2010, cum laude
- Syracuse UniversityB.S. 2007, magna cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York