Seth Kaufman is a partner in the firm's New York office, representing employers – both large corporations and small start-ups – in a range of industries, including healthcare, hospitality, media, and real estate, among others.
Seth has successfully defended employers as lead counsel in a wide variety of employment litigation, including complex class and collective wage and hour cases in state and federal court, single-plaintiff employment discrimination and retaliation claims, and labor arbitrations and matters before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
Moreover, Seth also regularly advises employers in all aspects of traditional labor matters, including representing employers as lead counsel during collective bargaining, advising on union representation elections and campaigns, advising on collective bargaining matters for multi-employer bargaining associations, and handling appeals of NLRB decisions.
Seth also counsels and advises employers on compliance with state and federal law, including wage and hour issues under both the Fair Labor Standards and New York Labor Law, issues implicating the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) in both union and non-union workplaces, accommodation requests, considerations in conducting layoffs, and issues involving corporate transactions.
Seth began his legal career with the Realty Advisory Board on Labor Relations, where he advised employers in the New York City real estate industry on collective bargaining matters and contract interpretation issues, and handled grievances and arbitrations on behalf of employers.
Seth has also guest lectured on employment law topics at the Tisch Institute for Sports Management, Media and Business at New York University’s School of Professional Studies.
- Successfully defended client in a Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) collective action jury trial in federal court.
- Successfully defended against certification of wage and hour class/collective actions.
- Lead counsel in labor arbitrations and cases before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
- Lead counsel during collective bargaining, and advised on collective bargaining matters for multi-employer bargaining association.
- Conducted misclassification audits of employers and advised on reclassification roll outs and implementation.
- Advised on labor and employment matters for corporate transactions.
- Advised employers on NLRB elections and represented employers during NLRB representation hearings.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- New York Metro Super Lawyers - Rising Star (2019-2020)
- Member, New York State Bar Association: Labor & Employment Law and Young Lawyers Section
- Member, American Bar Association
- Radio Appearance: Pay Equity in New York and Beyond – What is Causing the New Legislation and What Employers Need to Know2.23.17
- Labor & Employment Law Firm Launches New Office With Four Attorneys; Fifth Attorney Joins Firm’s New Jersey Office7.18.16
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "A Class/Collective Action is Coming for You: Seven Under-the-Radar Steps for a Successful Defense"
New York Law Journal
- Wage and Hour Laws Blog6.22.20
- Gig Employer Blog3.31.20
- Pay Equity Matters: Mind the Gap12.16.19
- Gig Employer Blog6.20.19
- Gig Employer Blog11.21.18
- Wage and Hour Laws Blog8.22.18
- Pay Equity Matters: Mind the Gap10.13.17
- Gig Employer Blog11.1.16
- Decision Helps Employers Who Use Independent Contractors11.1.16
- 2nd Circuit Refuses To Join Circuit Courts Siding With NLRB9.8.16
- Cornell Law SchoolJ.D. 2010, cum laude
- Syracuse UniversityB.S. 2007, magna cum laude
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York