Steven R. Cupp
Since 1991, Steve has practiced labor and employment law exclusively, always representing the interests of management. Over the course of Steve’s career, he has litigated (in the courts, before federal and state agencies, and in the arbitral forum) hundreds of cases involving all aspects of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and other federal and state civil rights laws, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Davis-Bacon Act, the Occupational Safety and Health Act (Section 11(c) retaliation cases), the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, the Trafficking Victims Protection Act, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act, and the National Labor Relations Act. Due to the breadth of his decades-long experience, Steve is able to achieve his clients’ objectives in a cost-efficient way that minimizes business disruption.
Steve’s clients range from small clients to large national clients who operate across the Southeast. While the nature of his clients’ businesses run the gamut, Steve has developed industry-specific expertise in big-box retail, the automobile industry and dealerships, waste management, distribution centers and logistics, trade and business associations, food processing facilities, food franchises, insurance carriers, health care providers, banking, PEOs, shipbuilding, construction, gaming, hospitality, energy, and manufacturing and production. This in-depth knowledge has made Steve a trusted business partner.
Although a majority of Steve’s practice is devoted to litigation, Steve is a “can do” lawyer who offers wide-ranging practical advice, investigation and training services to his clients – all designed to find the best path to reach his client’s desired outcome. Steve drafts policies and guides clients on policy implementation. He prepares employment agreements and assists with the enforcement of restrictive covenant provisions. Steve frequently performs management and supervisory trainings that equip his clients with best practices to better allow them to navigate the myriad of employment laws and to avoid union infiltration. Finally, Steve’s methodical and common-sense approach to executive-level discrimination and harassment investigations has made him a sought-after resource across the nation. But, Steve’s advice-work does not stop there. Over the course of his career, Steve has widely offered his expertise to industry groups and trade associations by penning numerous articles over his career for trade publications and regularly presenting at seminars and webinars.
Steve joined Fisher Phillips as a Partner in 2013, recognizing that he could better serve his clients with the benefit of the resources only a national firm specializing in labor and employment law can offer. Since that time, he has become one of the Firm’s top litigators, trying numerous jury and bench trials before both courts, arbitrators, and administrative agencies. Steve also continues to handle traditional labor matters, including representation elections, bargaining, and unfair labor practice claims.
Steve prides himself on his mentorship of new attorneys and helping them become the best lawyers they can be. Nothing better illustrates this than the success that the two associates Steve brought from his prior firm have had. One has advanced to Partner with Fisher Phillips, and the other has achieved the Of Counsel designation. Both women have built thriving practices and are now Steve’s go-to colleagues when he needs to discuss complicated or novel legal issues that arise in his own practice.
When Steve is not busy assisting his clients, he enjoys spending time with his wife, Kristin, and his five children. Often, this time is spent watching sporting events – especially in the fall when the local high school, LSU, and the Saints are playing.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- “AV” rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Chambers USA
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2013
- Senior Professional in Human Resources, Human Resource Certification Institute
- Member, Louisiana Bar Association
- Member, Society for Human Resource Management
- Member, State Bar of Georgia
- Member, The Mississippi Bar
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best in the U.S. for Labor & Employment Law4.25.19
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Fisher Phillips Seminar5.19.17
- One Day, Many Solutions New Orleans5.13.16
- What Mississippi Employers Need To Know About New Religious Freedom Law4.7.16
- The Dawn Of A New Wild, Wild West In Mississippi? State Supreme Court Rules On Employees Workplace Firearm Rights3.30.16
- University of Georgia School of LawJ.D. 1990, cum laude
- University of New OrleansB.A. 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. Supreme Court