Shayna H. Balch
Shayna Balch is a partner in both the Phoenix and Los Angeles offices. She represents employers in employment and labor litigation matters before federal and state courts as well as before administrative agencies.
She handles matters across all facets of labor and employment law including employment discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, restrictive covenants, preventive counseling, employee training, personnel policies, and employment agreements.
Shayna has represented clients before trial and appellate courts, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Arizona Civil Rights Division, and United States Department of Justice Office of Special Counsel (OSC).
In 2012, Shayna was named one of five women under the age of 35 in AZ Business Magazine's ranking of the 50 Most Influential Women in Arizona.
She has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers Southwest – Rising Stars since 2012. Shayna was also included in “40 under 40” for 2013 by the Phoenix Business Journal. The award honors the top 40 business people in Phoenix under the age of 40.
Shayna is also a weekly guest blogger for the Phoenix Business Journal where she provides advice on a variety of labor and employment topics.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- 40 under 40 for 2013 by the Phoenix Business Journal. The award honors the top 40 business people in Phoenix under the age of 40.
- Top 5 Under 35, Most Influential Women, Arizona Business Magazine, July 2012
- Super Lawyers Southwest - Rising Stars (2012-2015)
- AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale Hubbell (2011-present)
- SHRM of Greater Phoenix, (SHRMGP), Board of Directors (January 2012-present)
- Committee Chair, Law and Legislative Action Committee, SHRMGP, (January 2010-December 2011)
- Member, Arizona Jewish Lawyers Association, 2011 to present; Director (2013-present)
- Member, SHRMGP (2009-present)
- Member, Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) (2009-present)
- Member, American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section (2007-present)
- Member, Maricopa County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division & Employment Law Section (2009-present)
- Member, State Bar of Arizona, Young Lawyers Division & Employment and Labor Law Section (2006-present)
- Founder, Phoenix Lawyers Networking (2013)
- Committee Member, Jewish Community Association, Outreach Committee (2012-2014)
- Committee Member, YMCA Downtown Believes in You, Annual Dinner
- Planning Committee (2010-present)
- Keynote Speaker, Downtown Believes in You, Annual Dinner, April 5, 2012
- Maricopa County Courthouse Experience (2011-present)
- Volunteer, Junior Achievement, Genesis Academy (2010-2012)
- Volunteer, Junior Achievement, Gateway Community College High School (Spring 2010)
- United Way Campaign Organizer (2009)
- Attorney from Phoenix office of Fisher Phillips Selected as a Super Lawyers ‘2013 Southwest Rising Star'4.26.13
- Labor and Employment Attorney Joins Firm1.21.10
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- The Employee Accommodation Conundrum: How to Navigate the Duty to Accommodate and Determine When Enough Is Enough6.18.15
- Employee Document Essentials – What to Keep, What to Trash and What Could Land Your Business in the Courtroom9.23.14
- Employee Complaints: How to Conduct Effective Internal Investigations Without Triggering Retaliation Claims – Phoenix, AZ4.26.12
- Phoenix Business Journal: What Employers Need to Know About New Federal Guidelines for Wellness Programs5.5.15
- Phoenix Business Journal: How to Keep Your Company Halloween Party From Turning Into a Frightful Disaster10.21.14
- Phoenix Business Journal: Playing Big Brother: How to Legally Monitor Employees with GPS Tracking Devices6.10.14
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O'Connor College of LawJ.D. 2006, cum laude
- Arizona State UniversityB.A. 2003, summa cum laude
- Arizona Court of Appeals
- Arizona Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona