Rosemary S. Gousman
Rosemary Gousman is the managing partner of the firm's New Jersey office and the co-chair of the Financial Services Industry Group. She has devoted her extensive career to the practice of labor and employment law.
Rosemary’s diverse practice includes both litigation and counseling of employers. She litigates cases involving discrimination, wrongful discharge, whistleblower claims, wage and hour laws, common law contract and tort claims, traditional labor law involving union-management relations, and employee benefits disputes. Rosemary has significant trial experience in bench and jury trials, as well as arbitration proceedings, including Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). She has appeared before a variety state and federal administrative agencies.
Along with her litigation work, Rosemary counsels clients on the appropriate handling of disciplinary matters, employee terminations, compliance with employment statutes and state and federal regulations dealing with harassment and discrimination, wages and leaves of absence. She regularly advises employers on employment contracts and corporate policies on wide-ranging topics such as performance management, discrimination and harassment complaints, disability and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave management, pre-employment screening, and reductions in force.
Rosemary has served as lead counsel on a number of jury trials, and has obtained summary judgment in a number of discrimination, retaliation, public policy and common law claims in favor of her clients.
Rosemary lectures frequently on various topics in employment law, including discrimination, sexual harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), internal and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) investigations, and workplace privacy and social media both for her clients, attorneys, and industry groups.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2007
- Listed in Chambers USA (2016-2018)
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Fellow, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best in the U.S. for Labor & Employment Law4.25.19
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- One Named to 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers List of Rising Stars3.19.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Two Named to 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers List of Rising Stars3.14.17
- Four Named to 2016 New Jersey Super Lawyers List, One to Rising Stars3.11.16
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Breaking Bad Behavior: Drugs, Medical Marijuana, Cigarettes, Cursing, Social Media, Tattoos, Piercings, And More1.15.15
- "New Hire Background Checks and In-Service Checks," NJ Bankers Associations, 2013
- Family Leave Seminar - "Accommodation: NJLAD and ADA," NJ Business & Industry Association, 2012
- Violence, Assault Victims Entitled to Unpaid Leave
- SAFE Act: Job-Protected Leave for Victims Of Domestic Violence
New Jersey Law Journal
- The Right Environment Is Critical To Attracting The Best Lawyers
- Summer Business Style
- Do's & Don'ts of Holiday Parties for Medical Practices
Medical Office Today
- Lawyer: Prepare Employees To Avoid Holiday Party-Related Lawsuits
- Managing the Complex Web of Leave Laws
New Jersey Law Journal
- Legal experts urge caution in requiring employees to get flu shots
- N.J. Is One Of 20 States Without Time Provisions For Voting
Asbury Park Press
- Crock Stars
New York Post
- Government Relations Blog1.2.15
- Supreme Court Hands Loss To Employers – But Is There A Hidden Silver Lining?6.16.16