Phil Simpler represents national, regional, and local employers in all areas of labor and employment litigation, including wrongful termination, defamation, harassment, discrimination, whistleblower retaliation, wage and hour class actions, and PAGA cases. Phil also advises employers in all areas of their daily employment practices and other developments in the legal landscape.
Phil is a passionate advocate for employers, with an emphasis on dispositive motion work and finding creative ways to achieve favorable outcomes early in litigation. He has experience vigorously defending employers at both the trial and appellate levels, including as second chair of a trial team that favorably achieved a complete defense verdict after a three week jury trial.
Phil is an active member in the legal community and has served in leadership roles of multiple local organizations. As a Board Member of the Korean American Bar Association of San Diego, Phil works to support diversity and inclusion within the legal community and beyond. Phil also donates his time as a volunteer attorney for the California Innocence Project working to free innocent individuals who have been wrongfully convicted.
Phil’s track-record of success has been recognized by his peers, as he was named a San Diego Super Lawyers – Rising Star in 2019 and 2020 for his work in labor and employment law. He is regularly called upon to speak on emerging legal issues facing employers, including #MeToo Harassment and Bullying in the Workplace.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
Super Lawyers Rising Star (2019 – 2020)
- Korean American Bar Assoc. (2018 – present): Board Member (2019 – 2020)
- Lawyers Club (2016 – present): Annual Dinner Committee (2017)
- San Diego County Bar Assoc. (2013 – present):
- New Lawyer Forum Vice Chair (2018)
- New Lawyer Forum Executive Committee (2017 – 2018)
- “For the Record” – Editor in Chief (2018)
- Strategic Framework Committee (2018)
California Innocence Project – Volunteer Attorney
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- The #MeToo Era: Sexual Harassment Prevention and Response Tactics; (NBI HR Conference) November 2019
- Bullying, Workplace Violence and More: Dealing with Problematic Behavior; (NBI HR Conference) November 2019
- Arbitration Agreements: Are They Right for Your Business; November 2018
- University of San Diego School of LawJ.D., 2013 cum laude
- College of CharlestonB.A., 2010 magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California