Matthew R. Simpson
Matt Simpson is a partner in the firm’s Atlanta office, where he is a member of the firm’s Automotive Dealership and Education Practice Groups. Matt represents management in all areas of labor and employment law in state and federal courts as well as before state and federal agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the United States Department of Labor.
Matt’s litigation practice is focused on the defense of class and collective actions. He has handled numerous collective actions involving claims for unpaid wages pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and represents both employers and consumer reporting agencies in class actions brought under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Matt also defends employers against single and multi-plaintiff claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination brought under various federal and state laws.
In addition to his litigation practice, Matt counsels employers and their managers on "preventive" employee relations. This includes advice on employee background screening and selection, drug and alcohol testing, wage and hour compliance, harassment investigations, and disciplinary strategies. Matt drafts employment applications, employee handbooks, arbitration agreements, confidentiality agreements, and non-compete, non-solicitation, and severance agreements. He conducts regular employment and wage-hour audits for his clients to ensure that they continue to be in compliance with changing laws and regulations.
Matt currently sits on the Executive Committee for the State Bar of Georgia’s Labor and Employment Law Section. He is a past recipient of the State Bar of Georgia Labor and Employment Award, and has been listed in each edition of Georgia Super Lawyers – Rising Stars from 2011 to the Present. In 2015, Matt was recognized by Law360 as a Rising Star and one of the Top Labor and Employment Attorneys Under 40 in the nation.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Georgia State Bar Labor and Employment Law Recipient (2007)
- Georgia Super Lawyers - Rising Star since 2011
- Top Attorneys Under 40
- Law360 Rising Star
- Labor and Employment attorneys represent six offices1.1.15
- Five Other Lawyers Named ‘Rising Stars’2.21.13
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- One Day, Many Solutions Atlanta3.22.16
- Tattoos, Piercings, and Scantily Clad Workers
- Processing Garnishments: A Guide for Georgia Employers
Lorman Education Services
- Recruiting and Hiring the Right People
DeKalb County Chamber of Commerce
- Social Media
Douglas County Chamber of Commerce
- "A Practical Approach to Avoiding the Pitfalls of Misclassifying Workers"
- Wage and Hour Laws Blog2.25.13
- Emory University School of LawJ.D. 2007, with honors
- Texas Christian UniversityB.A. 2003, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals