Mitch Baker is a partner in the Portland office. He has defended a variety of employers in labor and employment law matters. He also provides training, advice, and counsel to assist employers to avoid labor and employment problems.
He has extensive experience in enforcing non-competition agreements and prosecuting Trade Secrets Act violations, as well as defending employers accused of retaliating against employees for exercising protected employment rights.
Mitch is a frequent speaker at local and regional employment law seminars and has authored desk book chapters on federal civil litigation and civil trial procedure for the Oregon State Bar. He has also been a columnist for the Portland Daily Journal of Commerce and represents victims of domestic violence pro bono through the Oregon Legal Aid Clinic.
Mitch has been included in Oregon Super Lawyers from 2015 - 2018.
- Defended Western HyWay Oil Company in a lawsuit brought by a former fuel tanker driver. The driver had been severely injured at work and filed one of the company’s largest workers' compensation claims. He was later terminated for threatening his boss and filed suit alleging that he was fired in retaliation for utilizing the workers’ compensation system. The jury deliberated for just four and a half hours before returning a complete defense verdict.
- Obtained a reversal in the Oregon Court of Appeals of a determination by the Oregon Employment Department that a contractor should have been classified as an employee.
- Obtained partial summary judgment on behalf of FedEx Ground and an individual manager, dismissing the manager and obtaining sanctions against the plaintiff for suing the manager, and limiting the potential damages against FedEx Ground from $575,000 to $1,800.
- Obtained a seven figure settlement on behalf of one insurance carrier against another for knowingly hiring three employees with noncompetition agreements and encouraging them to actively select their former accounts.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Listed as an Oregon Super Lawyer (2015 - 2018)
- Leading Lawyers Honored for their Achievements in Employment & Labor Law7.11.17
- Mitch Baker, Clarence Belnavis, Todd Lyon and Richard Meneghello Honored in Super Lawyers, Laura Jordan and Alexander Wheatley in Rising Stars7.8.15
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Portland Annual Seminar7.19.16
- Government Relations Blog1.5.15
- Automotive Dealership
- Employee Defection and Trade Secrets
- Employment Discrimination and Related Litigation
- Independent Contractor Issues
- Litigation of Employment Disputes
- Non-Competition and Trade Secrets Agreements
- Retaliation and Wrongful Termination
- Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets Litigation
- Lewis & Clark Law SchoolJ.D. 1997
- Western Washington UniversityB.A. 1994
- Oregon Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon