Michelle I. Anderson
Michelle Anderson is a member of the firm’s COVID-19 Taskforce, a cross-disciplinary team of attorneys dedicated to advising employers on the many workplace law aspects of the global coronavirus pandemic.
With unique training and more than 20 years of experience in executive management, workforce development, and practicing employment law, Michelle Anderson helps businesses anticipate and solve practical and legal challenges in the workplace by defending against various claims and assisting with compliance practices and procedures.
Michelle defends employers against claimed violations involving unlawful discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation, breach of contract, leave and disability, wage and hour, unfair labor practices, and public accommodations and workplace safety laws. To help clients comply with applicable laws and regulations, she advises on multi-state employee handbooks, employment applications, policies, and procedures; workplace investigations; Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) matters; human resource management and systems; supervisor training; diversity and inclusion; criminal background checks; as well as Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and state wage and hour audits.
Michelle works with the Louisiana Restaurant Association as its outside general labor and employment counsel, liaising closely with its members in the restaurant and hospitality industries.
An integral member of the firm’s Wage and Hour Practice Group and Women’s Initiative and Leadership Committee, she is also a key contributor to Fisher Phillips’ COVID-19 Task Force, which has been a leader in providing advice and training to businesses around the country.
Before law school, Michell had a successful career in workforce development, operating and managing employment and training programs for a private non-profit corporation under contracts from federal, state, and local governments. Among many others, these programs supported individuals with disabilities, those lacking a GED or high school diploma, and those on public assistance.
- Jury verdict in favor of franchisor and franchisee in religious discrimination case alleging failure to accommodate a sincerely held religious belief governing appearance.
- Jury verdict in favor of auto dealership and owner in race discrimination and intentional torts (received prior partial summary judgment on gender discrimination and retaliation claims before trial).
- Arbitration win in favor of manufacturing client in wrongful termination claim in violation of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Summary judgment in favor of employer in ERISA case for manufacturing client, affirmed by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeal.
- Summary judgment in favor of employer in an age discrimination case for manufacturing client, affirmed by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeal.
- Two summary judgments in favor of dental practice employer and individual defendant alleging race and gender discrimination, breach of contract and other intentional torts. Also prevailed on a third summary judgment for the employer on a breach of contract claim against the plaintiff, resulting in a monetary judgment in favor of the company.
- Summary judgment in favor of employer in a race discrimination case for manufacturing client.
- Partial summary judgment (claim preclusion for failure to disclose lawsuit in bankruptcy proceedings) in favor of employer in a race discrimination case for manufacturing client.
- Summary judgment in favor of employer in a race discrimination case for leasing client.
- Dismissal (failure to state a claim) in favor of employer in whistleblower claim for aviation client.
- Dismissal (failure to state a claim) in favor of employer in wrongful termination claim for manufacturing client.
- Dismissal (statute of limitations) in favor of employer in unemployment benefits claim for medical client.
- Dismissal (statute of limitations) in favor of employer in unemployment benefits claim for security client.
- Dismissal (failure to state a claim) in favor employer in breach of contract claim for insurance client.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (2021)
- Ones to Watch, New Orleans City Business (2017)
- Recognized in Louisiana Super Lawyers: Rising Star (2013-2016)
- Kappa Delta Sorority: Order of the Emerald (2009)
- Who’s Who Historical Society: Who’s Who of Professional Management (2003)
- Member of the National Association Women Business Owners - New Orleans Chapter
- General labor counsel for the Louisiana Restaurant Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the New Orleans Human Resources Management Association
- Contributing author to the Florida Chamber of Commerce Employment Law Manual since 2008
- Contributing author to the Fisher Phillips’ Employment Laws in the State of Louisiana publication since 2009
- President of the Kappa Delta Sorority New Orleans Alumnae Association
- Hogs for the Cause, Team Volunteer
- Member of the Kappa Delta Sorority New Orleans Alumnae Association and a former chapter advisor and National Officer
- Serves on the Teaching Kitchen Committee at the Rosa Keller Library and Community Center in the Broadmoor community
- Member of the Krewe of Muses
- More Than A Quarter of the Firm’s Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Edition8.20.20
- New Orleans Partner Michelle Anderson Discusses the New Employer OT Rule on The Broker Breakdown Podcast11.12.19
- Fisher Phillips Welcomes Eighth Partner to New Orleans Office1.3.17
- New Orleans Labor and Employment Lawyers Named Among Best in State1.4.16
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Fisher Phillips Seminar5.19.17
- One Day, Many Solutions New Orleans5.13.16
- "Beyond the Curve: COVID Workplace Practices" - Louisiana Federal Credit Union
- "Employment Law: What You Need to Know” - The MJ Insurance Housing Forum in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Wage and Hour Laws Blog6.25.20
- Employment Privacy Blog1.22.19
- Employment Privacy Blog7.30.18
- Employment Privacy Blog2.14.18
- Employment Privacy Blog3.3.17
- Loyola University New Orleans School of LawJ.D. 2007
- Washington State UniversityB.A. 1995
- Florida Supreme Court
- Louisiana Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana