Kevin Hess is a partner in the firm's Columbus office. He has particular experience in workers’ compensation and employment litigation. He focuses his practice on workplace health and safety and he also represents and counsels employers on compliance with employment-related laws.
Kevin defends the full panoply of discrimination charges in state and federal courts, directs clients through agency audits and counsels regularly on policy issues including termination and accommodation. Additionally, he represents an array of businesses nationwide including companies in the manufacturing, healthcare, hospitality, construction, retail and services industries on matters involving public policy torts, occupational disease, disability claims, wrongful discharge, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) citations and compliance, retaliation, grievances, unfair labor practice charges and regulatory compliance.
He has extensive administrative experience advocating before the Ohio Industrial Commission and Bureau of Workers’ Compensation on a variety of matters such as general claims, medical reimbursement, self insurance, rate assessments and coverage. He has also counseled clients on workers’ compensation matters in other states.
Kevin has presented at training seminars for legal and human resource representatives on issues involving workplace health and safety. Additionally, he has been a featured speaker at the Columbus Claims Association.
He has also written and co-authored articles for Business First and workers’ compensation newsletters on issues of employee discharge and retaliation.
Kevin has been listed in Ohio Super Lawyers - Rising Stars since 2016.
- Assisted clients in multiple OSHA and other safety related investigations, including negotiating favorable settlements.
- Kevin has successfully defended multi-party lawsuits involving employment discrimination and retaliation.
- Kevin has successfully led defense teams in jury trials, including a favorable defense verdict in an Ohio workers’ compensation case in 2014.
- Represented Ohio Companies in obtaining workers’ compensation self-insurance privileges through the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.
- Represented trucking company in defending audit by the Department of Transportation and conducted internal analysis to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
- Represented manufacturing companies in Ohio workers’ compensation administrative hearings.
- Represented manufacturing company in complex labor arbitrations regarding assignment of overtime.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2016 - 2019)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
- Columbus Partner Advises Ohio Employers on Preparing to Deal with Workplaces that Include Medical Marijuana Users9.30.19
- Two Others Listed as Rising Stars12.6.17
- Four Others Listed as Rising Stars12.2.16
- One listed as 2016 Ohio Rising Star12.2.15
- Steven Loewengart to Serve as Managing Partner of Firm’s 28th office.1.22.13
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Legislative Updates, Pay Equity, Drug Testing, & Medical Marijuana6.12.19
- NLRB Sends Message: Employers Must Provide Employees with Access to Company Email Systems to Grouse with Others After Hours2.26.15
- Breakfast Briefing11.18.14
- Department of Labor's New Proposed Rules May Call for Alternative Compensation Plans for Salaried Employees7.20.15
- University of Dayton School of LawJ.D. 2004
- Messiah CollegeB.A. 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio