Jeff Smith is a partner in the Cleveland office and a member of the firm's Employee Benefits Practice Group. He works with clients to create, implement and maintain their retirement and health plans.
He also advises employers on the impact of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), as well as Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements (MEWAs) and Voluntary Employer Beneficiary Associations (VEBAs).
While in law school, Jeff served as Executive Notes Editor and earlier as Associate Editor of the Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine. He has been selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers - Rising Stars five times. He has also been listed in Best Lawyers since 2017.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers - Rising Star
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2017-2020)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America - Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2020)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Symphony West Orchestra
- Cleveland Partner Interviewed by Law360 About Recently Filed Federal Lawsuit Stemming from U.S. Supreme Court Ruling6.22.20
- Partner Provides Insight into Ohio Board of Professional Conduct’s Advisory Opinion on Non-Compete Agreements for In-House Counsel2.25.20
- Two Others Listed as Rising Stars12.6.17
- Jeff Smith in Employee Benefit Adviser Article on How the Senate Bill Affects Employee Benefit Taxes12.4.17
- Four Others Listed as Rising Stars12.2.16
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Current Leave Issues and New Paid Leave Tax Credit" - Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- “The Affordable Care Act: Ten Things You Need to Know"
- “Healthcare Reform Check-up: Key Concerns for Employers"
- Gig Employer Blog9.18.19
- Gig Employer Blog11.14.17
- For Employers, It’s Business As Usual…For Now1.23.17
- Case Western Reserve University Law SchoolJ.D. 2004, cum laude
- Baldwin Wallace UniversityB.S. 2001, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio