Joseph W. Gagnon
Joe Gagnon is a partner in the Houston office. He is an experienced trial attorney who represents employers in litigation and arbitration filed in every region of Texas.
Joe's broad experience includes the defense of a wide variety of discrimination and discharge claims brought under Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and whistleblower statutes. He routinely defends state law claims including workers' comp retaliation, breach of contract, fraud, defamation, malicious prosecution, and assault.
Joe is unique among labor and employment attorneys, as he also represents several Texas-based non-subscribing employers against claims of negligence, and associated benefits claims filed under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
He frequently provides preventive services to reduce the likelihood of litigation, including general consultation, management and employee training, development of employment policies, and consultation regarding legislative current events and judicial trends.
Joe is a seasoned appellate advocate, having represented clients in original actions, interlocutory appeals, and appeals of final judgments in both state and federal courts.
- Litigation of various matters avoided with early engagement and dialogue, saving clients from incurring substantial litigation costs.
- Thanedar v. Time Warner, Inc., 352 Fed. App'x 891 (5th Cir. 2009)
- Hart v. Comcast of Houston, 347 Fed. App'x 978 (5th Cir. 2009)
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- "AV" Peer Review rating with Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, State Bar of Texas – Labor and Employment Section
- Member, State Bar of Texas – Appellate Section
- Youth soccer coach
- University of Texas Law Mentor
- Court Rules In Favor Of DOL's Rule To Make Homecare Providers Eligible For Minimum Wage And Overtime8.26.15
- National Labor and Employment Law Firm Opening its Third Texas Office in San Antonio3.11.13
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Houston Full Day Seminar9.16.16
- “It Takes Two to Tango: Partnering with HR to Avoid Costly Employment Claims” - Greater Houston Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- “How Would This Look in Court?” – Dallas and Houston – Compli-sponsored symposium
- Highly-Anticipated Changes in Overtime Pay Exemptions Will Affect The Hotel Industry: Are You Ready?8.15.15
- Meet the Union Organizers: Stealth Labor Campaigns May Be Coming to Such Right-to-Work States as Texas11.15.08
- "Avoiding Liability for Employee Issues in Dealership Acquisitions"
Dealers' Choice – Texas Auto Dealers Association
- Government Relations Blog2.19.15
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Appellate Practice
- Automotive Dealership
- Automotive Manufacturing
- Employee Benefits Litigation
- Employment Discrimination and Related Litigation
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance
- Government Relations
- Negligent Hiring and Retention
- Whistleblower Actions
- Workplace Safety and Catastrophe Management
- University of Texas School of LawJ.D. 1993
- Texas Christian UniversityB.S. 1990, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court