J. Randall Coffey
Randy Coffey is a partner in the firm's Kansas City office. He devotes his practice to the representation of management in labor and employment matters, defending employers in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Randy has litigated numerous multi-plaintiff and class-action cases alleging discrimination and wage and hour violations, as well as cases brought by individual plaintiffs. He has tried over 30 cases. Randy also provides representation before state and federal administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
His experience also includes traditional labor representation, such as labor arbitrations, NLRB proceedings, and union avoidance efforts. He routinely consults with and counsels clients concerning employment-related matters ranging from application of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) to the discharge of employees.
After graduating from law school, Randy served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Pasco M. Bowman on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. He is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, he is listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers and in The Best Lawyers in America, including being named as Lawyer of the Year for Labor and Employment Litigation in 2016 and 2018.
In 2010 Randy was inducted as a Fellow into The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. Election as a Fellow is the highest recognition by an attorney's colleagues of sustained outstanding performance in the profession, exemplifying integrity, dedication, and excellence.
Randy previously served as the Management Chair of the American Bar Association’s Equal Employment Opportunity Committee, and currently serves as a Council Member for the ABA's Labor and Employment Law Section. He also is a member of the Advisory Board for the American Employment Law Council.
Honors & Leadership
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA
- Selected for Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
Randy previously served as the Management Chair of the American Bar Association’s Equal Employment Opportunity Committee and has been a management co-chair for the Labor and Employment Law Section's Annual CLE Conference. He presently is a Council Member for the ABA Labor and Employment Law Section.
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.3.18
- Firm Also Ranked Among the Best for Labor & Employment Law5.30.17
- Three Attorneys from Fisher Phillips Recognized in International Who's Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers6.12.13
- J. Randall Coffey recognized for sustained outstanding performance.6.10.10
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Does AI Improve Outcomes, Create Risk, or Both?9.18.18
- Kansas City Annual Seminar4.25.18
- "Legislative and Other Developments in LGBT Employment Rights" - American Bar Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- "LGBT Diversity and Inclusiveness for Law Firms" - American Bar Association National Conference on Equal Opportunity Law, San Francisco, CA
- "Ask the EEOC: Current Insights on Enforcement and Litigation" - Webinar presented by The Labor and Employment Law Section of The American Bar Association
March 2, 2011
- "On the Defense From Employees: How to Avoid, and Deal With, Retaliation Lawsuits" - Kansas City Small Business
- Washington and Lee University School of LawJ.D. 1985, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif
- Vanderbilt UniversityB.A. 1982, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. Supreme Court