J. Randall Coffey
Randy Coffey is a partner in the firm's Kansas City office. He devotes his practice to the representation of management in labor and employment matters, defending employers in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Randy has litigated numerous multi-plaintiff and class-action cases, as well as cases brought by individual plaintiffs. He also provides representation before state and federal administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
His experience also includes traditional labor representation, such as labor contract negotiations, NLRB-supervised representation elections and litigation, and union avoidance efforts. He routinely consults with and counsels clients concerning employment-related matters ranging from application of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) to the discharge of employees.
After graduating from law school, Randy served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Pasco M. Bowman on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. He is "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, he has been listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers since 2008 and he was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for the last five years.
In 2010 Randy was inducted as a Fellow into The College of Labor & Employment Lawyers. Election as a Fellow is the highest recognition by an attorney's colleagues of sustained outstanding performance in the profession, exemplifying integrity, dedication and excellence.
In 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015 Randy was selected for inclusion in Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers and he was included in the 2014 edition of The International Who’s Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers. Randy previously served as the Management Chair of the American Bar Association’s Equal Employment Opportunity Committee.
Honors & Leadership
Randy previously served as the Management Chair of the American Bar Association’s Equal Employment Opportunity Committee and has been a management co-chair for the Labor and Employment Law Section's Annual CLE Conference trial presentations.
- Three Attorneys from Fisher Phillips Recognized in International Who's Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers6.12.13
- J. Randall Coffey recognized for sustained outstanding performance.6.10.10
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Legislative and Other Developments in LGBT Employment Rights" - American Bar Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- "LGBT Diversity and Inclusiveness for Law Firms" - American Bar Association National Conference on Equal Opportunity Law, San Francisco, CA
- "Ask the EEOC: Current Insights on Enforcement and Litigation" - Webinar presented by The Labor and Employment Law Section of The American Bar Association
March 2, 2011
- "On the Defense From Employees: How to Avoid, and Deal With, Retaliation Lawsuits" - Kansas City Small Business
- Washington and Lee University School of LawJ.D. 1985, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif
- Vanderbilt UniversityB.A. 1982, cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma