Garrett S. Kamen
Garrett Kamen is an associate in the firm’s Fort Lauderdale office. Garrett practices in Florida and New York where he litigates employment disputes of all types, from single-plaintiff lawsuits to class and collective actions.
Garrett counsels employers on hiring, discipline, and termination of employees, as well as numerous other employment issues to ensure compliance with local, state and federal employment laws. He also provides training and guidance to managers and employees with respect to complying with employment statutes to reduce the risk of litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Garrett served as senior litigating counsel in the Labor and Employment Law Division at the New York City Law Department where he served as lead counsel for the City of New York, the New York City Department of Education and the NYC Health + Hospitals in high-stakes litigation involving their employment practices.
Garrett's experience includes:
- Secured summary judgment on all claims, including allegations of quid pro quo and hostile work environment sexual harassment, brought against a hospital and a Senior Associate Director.
- Defeated plaintiffs’ request for conditional certification as a collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Secured summary judgment in an age-based discrimination and retaliation lawsuit brought by a teacher.
- Obtained dismissal of a sanitation worker’s disability discrimination claims.
- Defeated multiple putative nationwide class actions in a series of cases against a major beverage company.
- Secured dismissal of a multinational manufacturing company in a lawsuit filed by the US Department of Justice.
Garrett obtained his J.D. in 2008 from Fordham University School of Law, where he was a member of the Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Journal. He earned his B.A. in 2003 from the University of Maryland.
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, New York City Law Department’s Employment Law Institute, (May 23, 2018).
- Co-authored Personal Jurisdiction from Abroad, 32 Product Liability Law & Strategy 9 (March 2014).
- Co-authored US Supreme Court Rejects Jurisdiction over Foreign Corporation based on its Subsidiary’s Contacts with the Forum, Lexology.com (January 24, 2014).
- Co-authored New York High Court Rejects Novel Cause of Action for Medical Monitoring, Adheres to Traditional Tort Standards, Lexology.com (January 10, 2014).
- Extensive assistance with An Overview of Products Liability Law in the United States, International Product Law Manual (Arundel McDougall and Prashant Popat Q.C., eds., Kluwer Law International 2010).
- Fordham University School of LawJ.D., 2008
- University of MarylandB.A., 2003
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York